Comericial Kegerator single tap to double

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Safa

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking at setting myself up with a kegerator for two corny kegs, but I don't want to lay out for a brand new double tap, and I don't have the DIY skills to build one out of a mini fridge (or the time to go measure every one that shows up on craigslist). Ideally, I'd like to grab one of the single tap versions like this second hand.

I'm just unsure if there will be space for two corny's plus a CO2 tank, and whether I can switch out the tower for a double tap.

Has anyone had experience with something like this? Would love a point in the right direction!

If you think its not worth trying and I should just hold out until I find a reasonably priced double tap that's cool too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on the fridge I guess, weather 2 cornies will fit. I already had a Kenmore Kegger when I started homebrewing. It was an easy conversion from commercial to homebrew. It was also an easy conversion from a single tap to a two. Just had to buy a new tower and install it.

Thanks Hammy!

I've decided to just bite the bullet and get myself a danby440bl and convert that, seems like a reasonably easy project and there are loads of builds to learn from!

Pity walmart seems to be out of stock on their website :(

Thanks Hammy!

I've decided to just bite the bullet and get myself a danby440bl and convert that, seems like a reasonably easy project and there are loads of builds to learn from!

Pity walmart seems to be out of stock on their website :(

I did this project myself - it wasn't too difficult. The only real mistake I made was when drilling the hole for the tower I forgot to account for the screw on the back of the light/electronic box at the top of the fridge, so now that's duct taped in place... whoops! Feel free to ask if you have problems/questions!

Hey Safa,

I have the danby 1/2 barrel kegerator, and fit three corny kegs in there with the gas and regulator on the back. 2 kegs and the gas inside would be no problem. The gas is split with a manifold for 2 kegs, but I just use a picnic tap inside for the second keg for now.

I found the kegerator and two co2 bottles with the regulator on CL for $200, had to jump on that!

You can always purchase an extention head for the tower to convert it into 2 or 3 taps. They aren't exactly cheap, but they're also not as expensive as a whole new tower. I think the cheaper more residential towers are 2 1/2 inches, and the more commercial versions are 3 or 4 inches. The extensions may only be available for 3 inch and bigger, just be aware of that.

That being said, I took a residential size (2 1/2" tower and drilled a hole, rounded it out and added a faucet receptor (also an add-on to a tower type system -- you just have to make the hole instead of buying an extender). I was able to squeeze it all in, although I wish my tower was a 3 incher - it would've been a tiny bit easier to maneuver the tubing without kinking. It does okay though.

Also keep in mind that most of these will fit three pepsi (ball lock) cornies, but not necessarily three coke (pin lock) cornies. The pin locks are larger in diameter and have a tendency to use a bit more real estate. I have a Haier, and it will not support three coke corny kegs. But mine also has the CO2 inside the fridge on a little shelf with a holder bracket.

Thanks so much for the replies!

Almost everything is ready to go, Im brewing my first batch tonight, and have already kegged my first batch of cider (even though keggerator isnt operational yet)

The only think missing is my fridge, which should be here today or tomorrow.

Thanks Hammy, but I actually got a second hand twin faucet tower from a friend.

Jhall4: Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure I remember that!

Shanicko: thanks very much, had no idea that it was possible to fit 3 corny's in a danby, going along with the entension idea I might have to expand my fridge to hold three in the near future!

Lindenboy: Ill keep an eye out for the extensions, but I also like what you did by just drilling the hold and making your own facuet, I might end up doing that when I need to upgrade to a 3 keg setup.

Back