EAST COAST YEAST suggestions: ECY14 & ECY19

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffaoe

Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions of what to brew with two jars of East Coast Yeast I picked up last month. I was lucky enough to pick up a jar of ECY14 (saison - single strain) and a jar of ECY19 (brett c). I am going to be having a carboy open up this week and I will be picking up another one sometime this week as well. I have two or three ideas in mind, but am looking for some creative help.
thanks
-tom

The Saison is Brassiere (I think?) and its awesome. So make a Saison? At a month old I'd make a starter.

The Brett C could be used in a 100% Brett Pale ; it's kinda fruity as a primary strain. Again, big starter.

I'm new to the Saison style and I don't drink belgian beer. I am not a fan of that funk. So I wnated to keep it simple. I happened to have access to a fresh-off-the-truck pitch of ECA Saison Brasserie in July. So I brewed 5 gallons in July and then repitched another 5 gallons on some of the dregs from the first. The first has been bottled for 3 weeks and has a super strong lemony citrus character with a bit of Belgian 'funk' in the background. I started it at 70 and ramped it up to 80 over 7 days then let it sit at 80 for 2 more weeks. I suggest crash cooling after that, the yeast doesn't compact all that well. That first brew was had an OG of 1.060 using 100% Pilsen malt, some sugar, and 2 ounces EKG during the boil. I think it finished out at 1.010. The second version was an extract brew of the first with Pilsen extract plus sugar at OG 1.062 with the same 2 ounces of EKG. The second batch needs to be bottled (like tonight) but it finished at 1.003. I haven't taste tested it. Good luck. ECY yeasts are beasts!

Careful with the abbreviations there. "Brett C" usually refers to Brettanomyces claussenii. ECY19 is Brettanomyces custersianus.

From what I've read B. claussenii has a pretty mild flavor profile while B. custersianus has a pretty strong fruitiness.

Thanks for the feedback. Im not sure what I am going to do with the ECY14 yet, maybe a dark saison. The ECY19 I am going to do the 100% brett pale ale. I havn't been able to find much about the brett cust. as far as a flavor profile goes. Thats why I think I am just going to keep it simple and see what kind of flavors come out.

Back