Amarillo/Centennial IPA critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierhaus15

Reaction score
Admittedly, I am not much of a hop head and rarely brew IPA's. However, I have a bunch of hops I would like to get rid of and was thinking of brewing up a light, citrusy IPA for the summer. The invert syrup will add some honey sweetness and help dry the beer out. However, I am a little unsure of the hop schedule, if Amarillo and Centennial are a good pairing or I should mix it up a bit. Also, I am a bit worried that Columbus might be a bit too strong for the bittering addition? I have some Cascade, Nugget, and Chinook to sub out anything. Please let me know what you think. :)

4 Gallon Batch - O.G: 1.065, 68 IBU, 6.5 SRM

80% Pale Malt
7.5% Munich
2.5% Wheat
10% No. 1 Invert

1.0 oz Columbus @ 60
1.0 oz Centennial @ 15
1.0 oz Amarillo @ 10
1.0 oz Centennial @ 5
1.0 oz Amarillo @ flameout

0.75 oz Simcoe (Dry Hop 7 days)
0.75 oz Amarillo (Dry Hop 7 Days)

WY1332 Northwest Ale

I prefer simcoe amarillo pairing but nothing wrong with cent and amarrilo pairing. I would mix the amarillo and cent together and go with your 15,10,5,0 schedule.

I love Simcoe/Amarillo/Centennial combos in my IPAs. I would definitely drink that beer. But with what sonex said, I would probably mix the Cent/Amarillo additions too if I was brewing it.

Mix the Cent & Amarillo.

68 IBUs seems high for someone who is not a hop-head. Might want to cut down the Columbus.

Invert sugar is just going to dry it out, not going to give it any flavors.

Mix the Cent & Amarillo. 68 IBUs seems high for someone who is not a hop-head. Might want to cut down the Columbus. Invert sugar is just going to dry it out, not going to give it any flavors.

I'll definitely mix the cent/amarillo. I also found some extra simcoe in the freezer so I'll mix some of that in the flavor additions.

Invert syrup is different from invert sugar. The one I use is the British type, it is not 100% fermentable and adds quite a bit of flavor.

Latest posts

Back