why pay too much for ss hardware?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigmaster

Reaction score
if your paying more than 17 bucks for a 1/2 inch ss ball valve or more than a couple bucks for a ss full coupling, then your getting ripped off my friends. Stop buying from these overpriced suppliers in these hard times and go where i go...go where the process facilites go...go to gfi stainless...there in modesto ca..they also have a phone number and a website....at least check them out....they got the goods man...they dont have false bottems and such...but they have all kinds of other ss fluid fittings....and if the products small....i can always weld it together and send it your way...cheers :rockin:

there website is more for like people who know exact names of thing...but ive got a hard time finding some things on there also....but if u call them, like i did today, they quoted me at 17 bucks for a ss ball valve...1/2 inch npt

and by that i mean like a ferral to a pipe fitting is called a w-19-b, or a 19-w-b...depending on manufactuer...

are we talking 2 piece or 3 piece at GFI Stainless?

I'm happy to pay a buck or two more to support someone who supports home brewers like Bargain Fittings or AHS.

yeah the website isnt the best...but its the only place i use...not sure if its a 2 or 3 piece ball valve....the intent of this post was someone called me today saying it would cost a hundred dollars for a ball valve and a temp gauge...so i posted...

and whats with all the negitivitie...cause i plainly stated in my first post if you were payiong more than 17 apiece for those u were getting ripped off

And someone posted that it is only $14.50 at Bargain Fittings. Man, that website made my eyes bleed!

I think the issue is simply that the website isn't user friendlies for folks who don't speak "welderspeak" like you do. The prices may be the greatest on the planet, but if we don't know EXACTLY the right vernacular or tech info to call something, then how can we even begin to figure out if we're getting a good deal or not? A lot of folks know what a ball valve is, but not the specifics in non-homebrewer speak. So if we order from a homebrew site, then we know we're getting the right one....if someone was providing a parts list, let's say for a keggle build on here like most folks, do, they usually provide a partslist from bargain fittings or mcmaster carr FOR US ALREADY.

I tried to wade through the website, and all I could do was go, "WTF" it took me forever even to find ball valves, and then when I got to that section I got taken to it was pictures of things I barely recognized.

Not exactly the best experience, hence where the frustration of other folks lie....Instead of coming back pizzy, I think you could have been a little more understanding as well, that most of us aren't welders, and barely understand what half the stuff we stick in our coolers or keggles is REALLY used for.

And just like how you as a brewer know,s I presume, what rdwhahb means, or swmb, or IBU's, or Og/FG, and ABV means, the average joe looks like us like we're speaking ancient etruscan, you speak at least TWO languages...welderspeak and brewerspeak.

If you really want to be helpful, and to look less like an asshat, would be to take the time, start a new thread and for one thing, provide the link to that website, (which you didn't even do in YOUR post, jbrookeiv was gratious enough to do) and then you could make a thread that was a definitive link to all the right goodies that we need with their prices, pictures, sku number's, etc.....that would make you a god on here...if you could easily save us money people would name their first born after you.....

You could be the translater between welder and brewer speak.

Instead what you did is provide us barely enough info, to be moderately helpful and then got poed when we said we didn't understand what we were looking at.

If you did the tigman's guide to you ordering your hardware through gfstainless cheaply...it would be really more helpful than this thread was.

Every few months someones takes the time to put together a cost analysis thread for certain beer recipes by each of the online retailer. They take a recipe or 50, break them down, and post the pricing order from each place in depth. These threads are great, and quite helpful....because the person doing it went the extra mile to do the work for us.....

And honestly my first impression upon reading the thread title alone, and the text before I even noticed that it was you, was that this was a spam thread and nothing else....Then I realized it was from you. So decided to read the rest of the comments. I was surprised as much by YOUR hostility, as that of the other posters......

Just something to think about.

oh well...the fact still remains that i was only trying to help...and thats all ive ever done on this site...so CHEERS

It's good to get introduced to new sites that might have lower prices or better something or other. Not all will work out. Seems like this one didn't. As a side note, for sanitary fittings, I've had very good experiences with klgstainless and gvcdirect. This is for TC fittings and valves. gvc will send you a 10% off coupon with each order too, but are a bit more than klg. Bunch of fittings I got from gvc were stamped 'made in Germany,' don't want to sound narrow minded but it gave me a 'nice!' feeling....

That's cool, gfi was the only stainless supplier I kneew of, thanks for the info much appreiciated...more places to choose from is cool man awesome

Back