Roasted Kasha?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTBrewer

Reaction score
I want to use a couple of pounds of Kasha for steeping a GF beer. I've read that toasted Kasha in 1L and roasted is 200L. The natural foods store only has toasted...I assume i just put this on a sheet pan at 200-225 for how long...an hour or so to get the lovibond up?

Im going to go out on a limb here and say there might be some info on this in the Malting Gluten Free Grains Thread

There's somehting in this link too: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/grain-roasting-160747/

But anywas, here is what I follow when I roast grains. Rinse the grains and get rid of any hulls or bits that shouldn't be there. Place them on a roasting pan and put it in the oven at 225-F for about 30 minutes, increase temp to 250-F, stir grains, and wait another 30 minutes.

You increase the temp 25 degrees every 30 minutes until you get the color you get the color you want. You could probably just throw them on a pan at 400 and keep checking but I like the slower process since it keeps me from going overboard.

Make sure you let the grains waft for at least a week before using them.

Thanks. I got some that have been roasted already, but not to the color I want. I know that I won't get much conversion, if any from them but I'm jumping in slow. I'll toast these guys then use them to steep. rest of grain bill is sorghum extract and brown rice syrup.

After this one I'm going to look at malting, as here in Burlington, VT there is a **** ton of GF grains to choose from.

The malting isn't so hard, it's really a matter of understanding the process and taking the time to do it right. That said, it's still real hard to get good consistent results but the more we try the better off we will be.

Thanks. I got some that have been roasted already, but not to the color I want. I know that I won't get much conversion, if any from them but I'm jumping in slow. I'll toast these guys then use them to steep. rest of grain bill is sorghum extract and brown rice syrup.

After this one I'm going to look at malting, as here in Burlington, VT there is a **** ton of GF grains to choose from.

I further roast kasha. I throw it all into a pan at 400 and stir every 15 minutes.

Back