Lagering at Ale Temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hockeyhunter99

Reaction score
Can someone point me in the direction of an ale recipe that would turn out like a lager. i don't have temp controls and i can keep the fermenter at about62*F.

is there a high fermenting lager yeast?

SWMBO and i would like something like a Sam Adams lightish.

thanks

you could use a German Ale/Kolsch yeast - this works well in the low 60s and gives a clean beer

you could also try the San Fransisco Lager yeast - it's "meant" for California Common style beers, which are lagers fermented on the warm side. My brothers and I made something we called "Boston Common" using this yeast with a Sam Adams Boston Lager recipe.

I have used W1007 for both a cream ale & an alt; fermented in the low 60's produces a very clean beer. Make something along the lines of 1.040 OG & it should be light.

you could use a German Ale/Kolsch yeast - this works well in the low 60s and gives a clean beer

you could also try the San Fransisco Lager yeast - it's "meant" for California Common style beers, which are lagers fermented on the warm side. My brothers and I made something we called "Boston Common" using this yeast with a Sam Adams Boston Lager recipe.

Side question, where did you find that recipe? Sam is one of my favorite beers.

Wyeast has a Bohemium Lager that is designed specifically for temp ranges from 50-65F. I use it a lot. My ales taste clean like a Lager and I ferment at 60-65. Go to their website and look it up.

Cheers :mug:

Back