Yeast and Yeast nutrient question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
QUESTION 1.) I bought a bottle of yeast nutrient yesterday (just says "Diammonium Phosphate). I'm going to use it in my barley wine today. The instructions on the bottle say: 1 tsp. per gallon must.

I plan on tossing this when there is 15 minutes left in the boil.

This seems like a dumb question but I just want to make sure. Do I put 5 teaspoons in the brew pot or 3 teaspoons? I am doing 3 gallon boils.

I know I'm totally over analyzing this!

QUESTION 2.) I was told to use 2.5 packs of nottingham dry yeast in my barley wine. My question is how much water should I use to rehydrate?

for one packet it says to use 4 oz. of water. I need 2.5 packets. So would I boil 8 oz. of water and then let it cool down to 86 degrees to rehydrate?

I think I would need more water right. Some is going to be boiled away.

I guess to make a long story short, How do I go about rehydrating 2.5 packets of Dry yeast. Thanks! :mug:

Queston number 1...put 5 teaspoons, your final volume in your fermenter will be 5 gallons

question number 2. the amount of water they say on the package is not exact...just make sure yo have enough water to rehydrate your yeast. 8oz sounds great, and yeah, you can go over a little to consider boil off...its not an exactig science .....just make sure your water is cool enough so it wont kill the yeast when you add it.

I agree, you are over analyzing yourself. The important thing is that you rehydrate in water and not wort. If it says 4 oz/package and you are doing 2.5 packages you need 10 ounces of water...give a few extra for boil off if you are concerned but it won't really make much a difference. DAP is an incomplete nutrient for your yeast...better than nothing, but if you are making a really big BW you might consider something like the Wyeast nutrient that is a more well rounded mix of nutrients.

1. Yup, 5 tsp
2. The amount of water doesn't really matter that much as long as you don't have too little. I usually do about a pint for 2 packets. Also, if I were you I'd just pitch all three packs of Notty. No use in saving half a pack and a bit extra won't hurt anything. I pitch 2 packets of dry yeast is most of my brews.

Thanks everyone! I was wondering about just using 3 packets. I'm going with your idea jonk!

Ok, everywhere I look online it says to use DAP in your yeast starters. I'm not making a starter. I was told on this forum to put it in the last 15 minutes of the boil. What should I do? Thanks again!

Yeah that's fine. You don't need to make a starter with dry yeast as long as you pitch enough. If you only had 1 packet for a barley wine, then yes you would need to make a starter. Since you have 3, that is plenty. Starters increase cell counts, that's all. The beauty of dry yeast is that it is cheap enough to just buy more instead of making a starter.

On another note, I just came across this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/bad-bad-notty-199546/

Apparently some of the Notty out there is bad, make sure you don't have the bad lot. If you do, take it back and get some Safale -04.

DAP doesn't have things in it like magnesium, zinc, amino acids etc. The nitrogen and phosphorus are certainly helpful and better than nothing. I have never used DAP, so I can't help you on its use in starters.

damn! thats the yeast I have! I gotta run to LHBS! I actually think my LHBS is gonna be out of that yeast. Apparently the concern is that there is slow fermentation. I dont know... Also, I dont want to know if I can use DAP in a starter. I just wanna know if it's ok to put in the last 15 minutes of the boil. As far as re-hydrating the yeast, here is what I'm gonna do:

Boil 2 3/4 cups of water. Let cool until water is 86-92 degrees F. Sprinkle the 3 packets of yeast on top. DO NOT STIR IT IN. Cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and wait 15 minutes. Gently stir the yeast to suspend it completely. Re-cover the jar and let it sit for 15 minutes to complete hydration. The yeast will form a creamy layer on the bottom of the jar. It should be pitched within a half-hour for best results. Swirl the jar to re-suspend the yeast immediately before pitching.

Thanks again for all your help!

Sounds good. Good Luck. While I haven't used DAP exactly, as a general rule it is fine to add nutrient at the end of the boil.

OK so the LHBS is out of Nottingham. All they have are these:

3 packets of Windsor
1 packet of Safale us-04
2 packets of safale S-33

Would the windsor be an ok substitute for the Nottingham? Remember I'm brewing a barley wine. OR maybe I can pitch 1 pack of S-04 and 2 packets of S-33?

Please let me know soon. I wanna brew this beer! :)

I don't think the Windsor has enough alcohol tolerance for a barley wine. I think it would be interesting to use 1 packet of S-04 and 2 packs S-33. Go for it!

Thanks! I actually just read on another forum that a guy used 1 packet of S-04 and 2 packets of S-33 in a barley wine! he said it turned out great! Thanks for everyones help! not on to finally brewing this thing!

Back