How's it goin'?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IslandMike

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Im brand new to brewing and hopefully I'll get my first beer under my belt in the next couple weeks. I've been lurking through these boards reading everything and I already feel addicted to this hobby despite only putting together a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein. There is something satisfying about watching my airlock bubble.

Cheers! :mug:

Mike

Hey Mike!

All I can say is "Do it. Do it."
You will not regret being able to make your own delicious cold beer. Especially in the summer.

+1 to good beer in the summer. You'll start planning your brews around the season when they'll be ready. Nothing much is better is than sitting on the back patio with the barbecue going, drinking a delicious beer that you made yourself. Enjoy!

Might you guys suggest a good recipe for my first "back patio with the barbecue going" beer? There are just so many recipes to choose from.

Thanks for the encouragement!

I might just have to make them both. :tank: I was definately thinking of an extract for my first brew until I get a more comftorable. Is there really a huge difference between the quality of extract vs. partial/AG or can you produce tasty extract batches?

I'll take a look through the recipes for what looks like a good extract IPA and bring both recipies to my HBS to see what they have available in terms of ingredients.

Thanks gents!

Depending on your experience, there can be a huge difference in quality. But a good brewer can make extract just as tasty as AG. There are some small limitations using extract, but otherwise, it's very much the same.

Doing AG is more rewarding IMO, if you are interested in how the whole process works. With extract, the fermentables are created for you, and you have little control over how they taste or ferment.

It does save time and requires less forethought to brew extract. But except for the mashing of the grain, it's pretty much the same after that. I would say that if you are confident that you understand and can successfully perform the mash step, then why not start with a batch or two of extract to get your feet wet. While that's fermenting, start building a mash tun.

There are more threads dedicated to the differences, as well as a few books and even a very good website with information on both methods. (plus there is partial mashing, which is a hybrid method).

Back