Broke My Hydrometer!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I was just getting ready to take a SG reading and hopefully crash cool my Celis White clone tonight, but I broke my hydrometer. Its been in the primary for 2 weeks aroung 68 degrees. Any chance its done, or should I truck back out the the LHBS and pick up another one before I move along with it????

Been brewing almost 2 years with it....

Two weeks in primary will be more than enough with a regular beer fermented with healthy yeast. If it's in glass and has darkened that will tell you for sure. Honestly it's been a while since I took an OG and I only use the hydrometer to 1)make DAMN sure a big beer is done and 2)get a taste from the sample cylinder. I've yet to try Celis but if it's a traditional wit you'll be fine. If you've been brewing for two years and trolling here for a while you'll know if it's done without the hydro.

My guess would be that it is done if fermentation seemed similar to your past brews. Give it a taste test.

Yeah, well I've broke about ten of those damn things. Why can't that make them out of something indestructible???

But they don't post the prices (unless I'm just totally blind tonight), which leads me to believe it falls under the category of "If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

The nalgene hydrometers I've seen for sale run between $60 to $120. Yea they are quite pricey. That site doesn't actually show how to order any merchandise. Hmm....

Back