Other sources for Yeast Energizer and Yeast Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigStone777

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what i can use as yeast energizer and yeast nutrient, if i cant order them directly? Someone mentioned crushed multivitamin?
And what about acid blend?

Yeast Energizer/Nutrient:
Bee pollen. If you're buying directly from the producer, ask them.
Raisins. Chopped, smashed, or generally abused.

Acid Blend:
Lemon juice is a good substitute. Just add it to taste, probably 1 mL at a time.

While the regular additives are better, these are better than nothing.

How big is the difference?
Using only natural stuff does have a charm to it.
Besides the polen, is there any other energizer?
thanks

Can anyone tell me what i can use as yeast energizer and yeast nutrient, if i cant order them directly? Someone mentioned crushed multivitamin?
Can you not find a chemical supply store in China that sells food grade diammonium phosphate? That would solve your energizer problem. :)

For some time it has been known that effective honey fermentation is problematic as a result of inherently low levels of vitamins, minerals, and nitrogen in natural honey. Further, honey has poor pH buffering capabilities that if not controlled can result in a stuck fermentation.

Ken Schramm presented (July 2004) the results of a scientific study of the free amino nitrogen (FAN) levels of mead musts. Beer wort and wine musts tend to provide plenty of FAN, a crucial yeast nutrient - deficient in mead musts. A FAN deficiency can cause the yeast to autolyze and make higher alcohols, causing off-tastes and increasing the severity of hangovers. FAN levels in mead musts are woefully inadequate for yeast nutrition, even with the addition of moderate amounts of fruit juice. Hence, the need to add supplemental nitrogen in the form of diammonium phosphate.

While it may provide certain suplemental nutrients, epsom salts do not provide the necessary supplemental nitrogen.

So,
From what I got here it is better just to go with raisins then try crushed vitamins and salts. right? Or is there another fairly practical and attainable thing?

You could also boil an old yeast cake, the little beasties are somewhat cannibalistic and dead yeasties have good things that young yeast thrive on.

Can you not find a chemical supply store in China that sells food grade diammonium phosphate? That would solve your energizer problem. :)

ah haa thanks for the chemical name. Is that all i would need? I can check.
I do have access to bee pollen... is that enough on its own?
How much per liter/ gallon for each of those?

Can i add the nutrient/ energizer/ acid straight to primary fermenter thats already going full-bore?

P.S. Any idea is Zinc Oxide is useful? I happen to have some in my office, as we are working on a deal to export 700 metric tons of it. I also have Sodium Tripolyphosphate... but i think its industrial grade...

And what about acid blend?

I've HEARD that you can use grape-nuts, cook them and add in with your starter. They contain malted-barley-flour, dried yeast, and a crap load of vitamins. But I'll bet boiling an old yeast cake works well too. I have yet to try it but I plan on it.

hmm can i just add 1 mineral multi vitamin + mineral capsule "ofc w.o its gelatin shield" instead of yeast nutrient?

that has almost all those things you mentioned on this topic, i just worried it make it smell like metallic thingy due iron inside.

what you think guys

hmm can i just add 1 mineral multi vitamin + mineral capsule "ofc w.o its gelatin shield" instead of yeast nutrient?

that has almost all those things you mentioned on this topic, i just worried it make it smell like metallic thingy due iron inside.

what you think guys

sorry about duplicate reply i tried to delete it but couldnt find the button

Back