Lager yeast...can I make a steam w/it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karbinator

Reaction score
I bought a WLgerman lager, and WLpilsner lager vials about a month back, and
have some questions before I do something with them.

Right now, I'm not quite set up to take the lagering temps into the 50's, but I can hold them around 65-70. I'm wondering if I can get a decent batch of beer from doing this with the 2 above mentioned yeasts? Maybe a steam type ?

secondly, I've been washing my yeast to perpetuate generations. IF I steam beer with these lager yeasts, will It harm the yeast in a way that I should worry about washing them for a later "real" lagering, or even re-use for that matter.

ANy thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Karb

I bought a WLgerman lager, and WLpilsner lager vials about a month back, and
have some questions before I do something with them.

Right now, I'm not quite set up to take the lagering temps into the 50's, but I can hold them around 65-70. I'm wondering if I can get a decent batch of beer from doing this with the 2 above mentioned yeasts? Maybe a steam type ?

secondly, I've been washing my yeast to perpetuate generations. IF I steam beer with these lager yeasts, will It harm the yeast in a way that I should worry about washing them for a later "real" lagering, or even re-use for that matter.

Karb

Ive never used the Pilsner yeast you mention but the German Lager yeast will work to make a steam beer and I dont see any reason the pilsner cant.

Karb

My first useful post:

Yeast will not dramatically change their genetic structure to the point of requiring different temperatures to survive. If it metabolizes at say, 50-80 degrees F, it will continue doing so 99% of the time.

I work in a yeast-genetics lab and we rarely see temperature mutants that are stable. (They always want to be at their 'preferred' temperature).

But on the other hand, you can 'stretch' their temperature limits. You can slowly increase their temperature tolerances by changing the temperature slowly. (about a degree every two days)

It would be really cool to see how hot you can brew a lager beer.

My first useful post:

Yeast will not dramatically change their genetic structure to the point of requiring different temperatures to survive. If it metabolizes at say, 50-80 degrees F, it will continue doing so 99% of the time.

I work in a yeast-genetics lab and we rarely see temperature mutants that are stable. (They always want to be at their 'preferred' temperature).

But on the other hand, you can 'stretch' their temperature limits. You can slowly increase their temperature tolerances by changing the temperature slowly. (about a degree every two days)

It would be really cool to see how hot you can brew a lager beer.

Welcome to HBT toastermm!:mug:

Back