mini mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
is there a rule of thumb on grain to water ratio if i'm steeping grains for a mini mash recipe?

thx

For a true mash where you are seeking enzyme conversion, about 1.5 quarts per pound works well, plus or minus .25 a quart. In a full all grain batch, I tend to use 1.3 qt/lb.

If you are just steeping, I tend to go thinner -- about 2 quarts per pound. But it also depends on how much you are planning to sparge.

thanks. the recipe has 4.25 pounds of grains @ 155 for 45 minutes.

A gallon and a half or so will be fine. Remember that the water itself needs to be a bit hotter than 155 to compensate for the heat the grain will take. Something like 164F is probably about right.

Remember that the water itself needs to be a bit hotter than 155 to compensate for the heat the grain will take. Something like 164F is probably about right.

Bobby's right. I use this strike water temp calculator.

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

You measure the temp of your grains, and imput the desired mash temp, and it tells you how hot to heat your water.

how do you measure the temp. of the grains. just room temp?

Stick a thermometer in them, of course.:D

IM000678.JPG

Back