Forgetme caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bethlehembrewer

Reaction score
So this is the first time I brewed without using a kit. I didnt buy caps when I bought my supplies because I figured Id come back and get them. Bad idea. I went to bottle tonight and got to boiling everything and realized I didnt have any caps. Now I just sanitized 50 bottles using Iodophor. Do you think I have to re-sanatize them tomorrow when I go to bottle? Or what if I put them in the oven to store them overnight?

Essentialy is there any way out of going through this whole shabang tomorrow night?:confused:

I think I got it. I took saran wrap and put it over the bottles, making sure it touched the lip of them all.

Thanks Yooper!

I think I got it. I took saran wrap and put it over the bottles, making sure it touched the lip of them all.

Thanks Yooper!

I'm sure you'll be fine, but in the future, aluminum foil is an even better way to do that. My microbiologist uncle ( I learned to brew from a guy who did R&D for Miller for 15 years) covers his counters with it when he brews- says it's inhospitable to microbes. It's always worked for me.

I'm sure you'll be fine, but in the future, aluminum foil is an even better way to do that. My microbiologist uncle ( I learned to brew from a guy who did R&D for Miller for 15 years) covers his counters with it when he brews- says it's inhospitable to microbes. It's always worked for me.

I will have to remember that for next time. Thanks!

Interesting, have any more info on this by any chance?

Sorry- I felt a little bad backing myself up with so little info. All I remember is him saying aluminum foil was a good way to keep something sanitized. I don't use it, or anything, long-term, but I do cover my bottles with it after they're sanitized, while they're waiting to be bottled. I also wrap my racking tubes, bottling wand, etc. in it once they're sanitized- I bottle in my basement, and it's easier to do it this way than to lug sanitizer up and down the steps.

aluminum foil can also be sterilized in the oven then placed right onto the bottles. It's so thin it loses it's heat quickly.

Back