How many gallons of Mead 2014 Edition!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarshmallowBlue

Reaction score
Those beer folks have one. And excluded us Meadheads yet again! for one reason or another. So let's see how many gallons we've made combined this year. Just add your totals in to the last person to post. I'll go first obviously.

We will go by Brew date and not bottled date, so as long as yeast is pitched between Jan1 and Dec 31, 2014; it counts

Last year (as of now) we got in 1,156 Gallons

This year, let's shoot for 2,000 gallons!

Again, I'll start:

1 Gallon Vanilla hydromel

I saw a recipe for some honey moonshine but its the same as mead.. So I'm a little confused to what the difference is?

So far 6 gallons of a dark berry mel - sounds a lot like skunkboy's above, and 6 gallons of a basswood traditional. That's 26.

First time making anything figured I would start simple.

1 Gal JAOM
1 Gal Medium Sweet Show Mead

56 Gallons

5 Gallons of Wildflower Honey Mead. Will probably be adding fruit and spices to it at a later date.

85.5 Gallons

90.5 +

6 G Wildflower light Show
2.5 Madras Carrot Medium Show
May make additions to either/both in secondary.

Please describe your Madras Carrot. This sounds interesting

Madras Carrot honey is a varietal that comes only from an area in central oregon, where hybrid carrot seed is produced for sale to carrot growers. Apparently, it is one of the only places in the world that is able to successfully do this on such scale (they provide most of the currently available hybrid carrot seed).

The honey itself is quite dark and "robust", though not quite the darkness of a buckwheat or the overwhelming flavor of neem or avocado, with a unique sour and spicy/peppery flavor rather than the straight nutty, earthy, dirt-like flavor of other "earthy" honeys (I don't like neem, or avocado honey very much).

I did not boil, but dissolved it into ~120º - 115º water to an original gravity of ~1.105, and pitched 1 full packet of rehydrated Danstar Belle Saison. I am hoping it will ferment to near or complete dryness - 1.01 - (I reserved enough to back sweeten, though I prefer not to), and that I might get some fruity notes from the Saison. Complexity and depth are more my goal on this one rather than any single flavors or characteristics like with a Orange Blossom or Raspberry.

The must is fairly dark, closely resembling a jug of shaken unfiltered apple juice, and has a very "pungent?" flavor. Probably won't be good if the alcohol level gets too high, thus the medium-low gravity and ale yeast (though on occasion I have had ale yeast ferment to surprisingly high alcohol levels).

There is a meadery in Arcata, California that produces a commercial Madras Carrot Mead. Part of me wants to buy one for comparison, but ever since I made my first mead, I haven't been able to bring myself to buy any.

I just pitched a 6 gallon batch of a cranberry/pomegranate mel. That puts the count at 105.

Does cyser count? Just put 2 gallons into my fermentor last week...

107 if it counts?

Edit: OK so I am admittedly not typically a mead maker (this is my second batch ever) and I just did some reading and found that I can officially stand by the 2 gallons I added to the total. 107. :D

109 my first ever mead. JAOM will be ready on the 1st of March. 2 gallons worth.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Home Brew mobile app

115 - 6 gal batch of BOMM with using WLP570 instead of wyeast 1388...we'll see how this turns out.

just pitched a plain jane 6-gallon batch for making mels in the summer.

Started a 3 gal batch of hydromel, gonna split it into 3 1gal batches for flavoring.
Total: 124

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

1 gallon bochet
1 gallon orange blossom traditional
1 gallon cyser
1 gallon white pyment

Along with last post we should be at 141 gallons.

Back