Harvesting Cider Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eujamfh

Reaction score
I am about to secondary my first batch of Graham's English Cider. Varied only by adding some sugar to boost the OG to 1.065.

Can I harvest the Nottingham I used? I am going to make Graff's cider version right away…should I "wash" the yeast or pour on top of the cake?

I will not reuse it after the second batch…but since I am doing a heel-to-toe batch, was wondering if I can use it again.

just use it again. a lot of the reasons for yeast washing, like getting rid of any hop matter, or beer color, won't be an issue for cider.

I think dumping on the yeast cake is a great idea. The graf will definitely benefit. I would consider a blow off tube unless you have a couple of gallons of headspace.

Its in a 5G carboy…I will swash some sterilized H2O in there and pour it into a 6G better bottle. I have my 6.5 carboy currently occupied by a AHS anniversary wit.

You could always just dump some juice in there to swish instead of introducing additional water to the mix. (Unless you decant the water before pitching)

Back