Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or just suck the juice out of the lime and throw the Corona away.

I've been doing it wrong for years! I've been ordering 2 at a time, throwing the bottles across the bar, and squeezing the limes into both eyes. that way I can run around blind and hopefully land on a bottle of whiskey. I'll try your deal though.

Because of this thread I actually tried a hop pellet today. It was actually about half a pellet and it was Cascade. I didn't hate it and it wasn't overly bitter, but it's not something I enjoyed.

I may try some hops by themselves another brew day, but we'll see. Continuing with the nature of the thread tough; a coworker of mine came over during the brew and I got him to taste a hop pellet. I had just poured him about 4 oz. of an APA I have on tap. As he went to take a drink after he ate the pellet I asked him if he needed something to rinse the bitterness out of his mouth. He then replied "I'm drinking something even more bitter to rinse the bitterness out". :smack:

I have a buddy who's just getting into homebrewing and I've been coaching him via text message. I'm in NY and he's in Georgia so I have to coach from a distance. Anyway, I was telling him that I actually moved to All Grain brewing and maybe someday he would get there too. He said to me "What does that mean? No hops?" I laughed to myself but I gave him a break because he is new. I just told him that you always need hops!

Picture it, Germany circa 1400... "Hans I have this idea!" "Uh oh, another one of Helmut's 'ideas'" "No really, this is a good one... the church controls the gruit trade right?" "Yeah, so?" "well, if we throw a bunch of these bitter plants in the beer we'll get around all that" "Yeah... pretty much another one of your stupid ideas...."

Picture it, Germany circa 1400... "Hans I have this idea!" "Uh oh, another one of Helmut's 'ideas'" "No really, this is a good one... the church controls the gruit trade right?" "Yeah, so?" "well, if we throw a bunch of these bitter plants in the beer we'll get around all that" "Yeah... pretty much another one of your stupid ideas...."

Did the church really control gruit? Very interesting.

Did the church really control gruit? Very interesting.

Whether thats the case or if its just misinformation that I've heard from several sources, Im not sure.

I would tend to believe it, seeing as the majority of brewers were in the monstaries anyway.

Funny story, at least I thought so. A while back I was playing WoW and drinking an IPA. "wow" I said in group chat, "they hopped this beer within an inch of its life." "Aw man that stinks, you cant have too much hops, or too little hops... you need just the right amount" "I know seriously..." and it went back and forth like this for a while, until I realized he was just agreeing with everything and anything I said.

"wait, how old are you?"

"17"

"And you've never had a beer..."

"Not a one"

"Oh... thanks for playing along"

"No problem"

Funny story, at least I thought so. A while back I was playing WoW and drinking an IPA. "wow" I said in group chat, "they hopped this beer within an inch of its life." "Aw man that stinks, you cant have too much hops, or too little hops... you need just the right amount" "I know seriously..." and it went back and forth like this for a while, until I realized he was just agreeing with everything and anything I said.

Haha...that's great. (also, whatcha rollin, what server? Like MoP?)

was at Wegman's last night to grab a couple, saw a couple hipsters checking out the local craft beer lane when one asked the other, "what the hell is 'dry-hopped'?"
the other one answered, "don't worry about it. it's a marketing gimmick."

was at Wegman's last night to grab a couple, saw a couple hipsters checking out the local craft beer lane when one asked the other, "what the hell is 'dry-hopped'?"
the other one answered, "don't worry about it. it's a marketing gimmick."

facepalm

a coworker of mine came over during the brew and I got him to taste a hop pellet. I had just poured him about 4 oz. of an APA I have on tap. As he went to take a drink after he ate the pellet I asked him if he needed something to rinse the bitterness out of his mouth. He then replied "I'm drinking something even more bitter to rinse the bitterness out". :smack:

Well, he's not wrong.

Whether thats the case or if its just misinformation that I've heard from several sources, Im not sure.

I would tend to believe it, seeing as the majority of brewers were in the monstaries anyway.

You are indeed correct. A Google search has made for quite a productive day at work. And I'm sorry, I know this should be under "Fascinating things you've overheard about beer."

"wait, how old are you?"

"17"

"And you've never had a beer..."

"Not a one"

"Oh... thanks for playing along"

"No problem"

right now, some WoW guys are talking about this "old man" who kept talking about beer ;) :D

About a year and half ago, I was in a very small town in South Dakota. Just a little bar, I didnt expect them to have much for beer, so I asked the waitress, whats the darkest beer you have, she replied back Budweiser. I cringed a little, then she replied, oh we have Fat Tire, it was a moment of relief I could drink something with flavor.

I saw on facebook "I didn't know bock could be a lager?"

re: this pic
553312_509091232469361_1695449328_n.jpg

The last line of the wikipedia page on Maibocks, when listing commercial examples:

"... and despite the name, Rogue Ales Dead Guy Ale."

i know!

currently in my primary is what I'm calling a Mock Maibock. the recipe is Jamil's Maibock recipe brewed with WLP060.

my niece is expecting her first baby, so I wanted to brew a spring time beer to celebrate new life. but I don't have the means to lager.

went with Jamil's recipe because I didn't think a DEAD GUY clone was the best way to celebrate a birth

Ya, dead guy clone is more suitable for a wedding.

according to my will, it will be served at my funeral.

other stipulations in my will:

• my coffin will be wheeled in 15 minutes late
  • there will be a Dixieland jazz band playing. you just can't be sad when Dixieland jazz is playing

GrogNerd said:
according to my will, it will be served at my funeral.

other stipulations in my will:

[*]my coffin will be wheeled in 15 minutes late

[*]there will be a Dixieland jazz band playing. you just can't be sad when Dixieland jazz is playing

Awesome!

From my jeep forum, just now.

"Seeing as most of us like to enjoy beer, figure, why not a thread about beer?
It will also help shine some light on some other kind of beers that some of us may have never heard of. Me personally, I like Ales and Lagers.
A few of my favorites are Shock Top, Blue Moon, Hoeggarden, Bold City Brewing's Duke's Cold Nose Brown Ale, and Pinglehead Brewing's Pinglehead. The last two are local brews. They have more but have yet to try them.

And of course you have the usual budweiser, bud light, yuengling, and such."

moscoeb said:
From my jeep forum, just now.

"Seeing as most of us like to enjoy beer, figure, why not a thread about beer?
It will also help shine some light on some other kind of beers that some of us may have never heard of. Me personally, I like Ales and Lagers.
A few of my favorites are Shock Top, Blue Moon, Hoeggarden, Bold City Brewing's Duke's Cold Nose Brown Ale, and Pinglehead Brewing's Pinglehead. The last two are local brews. They have more but have yet to try them.

And of course you have the usual budweiser, bud light, yuengling, and such."

Flip their line on them....

set 'em straight, then tell them, it's a beer thing... you wouldnt understand.

I miss my CJ-7.....

robertfraser said:
Flip their line on them....

set 'em straight, then tell them, it's a beer thing... you wouldnt understand.

I miss my CJ-7.....

Haha, I thought about educating them, but I didn't want to come across wrong way. Oh well.

I had an old m38a-1 I had to sell because I didn't have a place to store it. Really wish I hadn't!
Oh well, love my JKU rubi!

NateLTB said:
Tell him that you have something in common because you like ales and lagers too.

No doubt. I definitely prefer ales and lagers as opposed to the other choice.
No ales or lagers at all!!

and a more on-topic contribution, not overheard, but in my head yesterday:

had late morning Drs appointment in Tyson's Corner, so afterwards for lunch, thought I would head down to Vienna Inn and have one of their awesome chili dogs and a beer. (don't tell the boss!)

Asked the waitress what they had for an IPA, she says, "we're out of Goose Island right now, closest we have is Sierra Nevada Celebration."

me, in my head and the funny/ignorant, "SN Celebration is a holiday spice... not an IPA"

looked it up this morning and she was right. good thing I didn't open my yap and announce my ignorance

I ended up having a Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager.

Back