Stuff on top of my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westerndf

Reaction score
So I need some help. I went to keg my scotch ale that has been in secondary for 2 weeks and I saw this white layer on top. Is the batch wrecked? Seem one please help.

Thanks dan

image-2260657893.jpg

Havent seen anything like that in person yet, but from what I have seen in the threads with collections of pellicle photos, I would say this is an infection for sure. Im pretty sure you now have yourself a sour Scotch ale. I would probably dump it but plenty of people here rack from under and drink it up.

Havent seen anything like that in person yet, but from what I have seen in the threads with collections of pellicle photos, I would say this is an infection for sure. Im pretty sure you now have yourself a sour Scotch ale. I would probably dump it but plenty of people here rack from under and drink it up.

I had the exact same thing happen for the first time ever in 6 years of brewing after dryhopping last month. I just racked the beer under it and left about 4 inches to not collect any of the funky stuff on top....beer turned out great no issues out of the keg or sample bottles I made.

That's a pretty spectacular pellicle after only 2 weeks. You have a couple options; if you have a keg, you can rack from under and keg. (I wouldn't bottle due to risk of bombs) You can let it ride until the gravity stabilizes, then bottle it. It'll be a sour beer, but many people like that. You last option, and the one I wouldn't recommend, is to toss it. Personally, I'd let it ride out and see what you end up with.

Latest posts

Back