Unwinding wound up Auber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MalFet

/bɪər nɜrd/
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Is there an easy and surefire way to reset the integral wind-up on an Auber 2362? I've got a switch between my SSR and my element, and of course anytime I've got the thing off for more than a moment the PID winds up and overshoots when I turn it back on.

I'm looking for the easiest way to reset the accumulated windup before I turn element back on, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on what will do it. Things I've heard mentioned include (in order of "easiness"):

1) Change the SV
2) Unplug the probe
3) Switch to manual mode and back
4) Power cycle the whole system

Anyone know which of these will and which of these won't do the job?

-MalFet

Help me out here, please. Can you explain what exactly wind up is and what causes and negates it? I am still an electronics noob and have seen a couple of mentions of wind up but dont understand the concept from a practical stand point. Any light you could shed would be great!!! I am always increasing my knowledge and havent learned this yet. Thanks!!!!
Wheelchair Bob

Help me out here, please. Can you explain what exactly wind up is and what causes and negates it? I am still an electronics noob and have seen a couple of mentions of wind up but dont understand the concept from a practical stand point. Any light you could shed would be great!!! I am always increasing my knowledge and havent learned this yet. Thanks!!!!
Wheelchair Bob

The integral component of a PID adjusts power applied to the system in response to how long the measured value has been away from the set value. If you disconnect the heat source from the PID (as one might need to do), the PID will keep ramping up its output because it's not seeing a response.

Imagine trying open door that someone is blocking on the other side. You push harder and harder and harder when the thing doesn't budge, and then if the door suddenly gets unblocked you go barreling through the thing head over heels.

Thanks a bunch. And you explained it in a way that makes great sense to me too. Have a great day.
Bob

To stop applying heat to the system, mostly ;)

This is for a RIMS tube on a batch sparge system. As nice as burning my element out when draining sounds, I think I'll stick to not doing that for now. :mug:

Hi

Ok, if you shut things down while you are draining the system, you are about to re-load the system with cold water. If so, the answer is to restart the controller.

Bob

Hi

Ok, if you shut things down while you are draining the system, you are about to re-load the system with cold water. If so, the answer is to restart the controller.

Bob

But I'm not reloading the system with cold water.

As I said, I'm looking for information on what does and doesn't reset the integral accumulation on Auber controllers. If anyone knows, I would be much obliged.

But I'm not reloading the system with cold water.

As I said, I'm looking for information on what does and doesn't reset the integral accumulation on Auber controllers. If anyone knows, I would be much obliged.

Hi

Power cycling the controller reset it.

If you dump in cold water, the load has changed and the state of the PID is not useful. Reseting is your best bet in this case.

Bob

Hi

Power cycling the controller reset it.

If you dump in cold water, the load has changed and the state of the PID is not useful. Reseting is your best bet in this case.

Bob

So you are saying that, of the four things I listed, you know that only (4) will actually reset the algorithm state? Switching to manual mode and back, for example, will not do this?

So you are saying that, of the four things I listed, you know that only (4) will actually reset the algorithm state? Switching to manual mode and back, for example, will not do this?

Hi

From what I have seen with my Auber's, the only *sure* way to get them back to ground state is to cycle them. Anything else seems to be less than satisfactory.

Bob

MalFet, if you set up the controller for bumpless switching, then an Auto/Manual transition will reset the integral. It should be an option on your controller. What model are you running?

MalFet, if you set up the controller for bumpless switching, then an Auto/Manual transition will reset the integral. It should be an option on your controller. What model are you running?

Thanks for the tip! This is what I've been doing on my 2362 and so far it seems to have been working properly. Thanks for the confirmation.

Back