2nd Attempt after FAILed 1st Attempt - Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzofo1

Reaction score
After fail on my first attempt to brew Pale Ale a month ago. Last week I tried again with an IPA kit. Yesterday was the one week point in my ferm bucket. I added 1oz of columbus hops for the dry hop. Took a hydrometer reading while the lid was open. The reading was appr 1.027. My initial reading (week earlier) was 1.067. Finished reading should be at or near 1.017.

Am I on target as far as two weeks of fermenting in the ferm bucket? Or should I take another reading in 3-4 days and see if it is at or near 1.017? Does it need to be in the ferm bucket for two weeks or do I go by my hydrometer reading?

Thanks!

As they say, RDWHAHB. Sounds like you are right on track. Just let it sit and try to ignore it.

Might still have a bit more to go, but really give it time. Take the paper instructions and add atleast 1 week to every step. Time is your friend.

I'd recommend next time waiting til FG is reached (stable FG readings over 3 days) before dry hopping. Just a suggestion, but I've heard that active yeast can inhibit the release of hop oils.

The hop oils coat the yeast in suspension,& settle out with them. They also say hop aromatics go out with the escaping co2. But I'm not sure I believe that one. So def wait next time till FG is reached before dry hopping. Not to mention more time to let it finish up fermenting,clean up & settle out well.

I will generally wait 3 week to check gravity for dry hops. Add the hops if FG is reached and let sit for 7day. Soooo ....I use a primary bucket only and 4 weeks. What was your fermentation temp? You may be able to raise the temp a few degrees, help the yeast clean up, thus lowering the gravity a few more points. +1 on "unionrdr" advice! You have not failed! You made beer, give it some more time and enjoy it when its done. Cheers:D

The hop oils coat the yeast in suspension,& settle out with them. They also say hop aromatics go out with the escaping co2. But I'm not sure I believe that one. So def wait next time till FG is reached before dry hopping. Not to mention more time to let it finish up fermenting,clean up & settle out well.

Instructions that came with kit says to drop 1oz Columbus hops into bucket after one week for dry hop. Cover and let it sit for another week then bottle. This past Sat. the 17th was one week. So while bucket was opened for the dry hops I took a hydro reading directly from bucket. Nothing was left on top of the beer, except for small bubbles. Color was clear darker amber. Kinda like a Avery Dugana DIPA. I'm guessing the krausen is at the bottom. It looked like I could scoop up some to drink from the top. It sure did smell good! Instructions says after throwing in the dry hops to cover back up and let sit for another week (x-mas eve day). But with my hydro reading at 1.027, my FG should be at 1.019. To me it is on target for Sat the 24th. So should I wait for this Saturday (2 weeks of fermenting in primary bucket) and open up bucket take hydro reading and if it's at or near 1.019 prime for bottling?

Maybe I'm reading too much into this. I should just go by what the instructions says. After 2 weeks in the primary bucket take my FG and bottle for another 2 weeks.

Thank to all you for your feedbacks.

The instructions packed with the kits assume perfect conditions, fresh yeast that begins on day 1 and proceeds to chew through all the sugars in 24 hours. Real world isn't quite like that since you had yeast that may or may not have been fresh and it might have taken 2 1/2 days to get started. Your fermentation temperature may have been different as mine usually is. My brews don't start showing signs of fermenting for 15 to 24 hours and then are still active on the 5th or even 6th day. From the point that I see the last bubble in the airlock I know that the yeast are still working for another 3 to 10 days before they really settle out. I feel that the yeast should be all settled before you add the dry hops so they will give up their aroma and then settle to the bottom. I rushed a batch and had hop particles still floating when I bottled. I won't do that again as they get stuck in place that are hard to get them out of. Your dry hopping should take about a week but some have reported that 2 weeks are still fine. The second largest brewery in Washington state puts a bag of hops inside the kegs when they sent them out (IPA only) and they remain in there until the kegs are returned so I don't think you need to rush to get them out.

The instructions packed with the kits assume perfect conditions, fresh yeast that begins on day 1 and proceeds to chew through all the sugars in 24 hours. Real world isn't quite like that since you had yeast that may or may not have been fresh and it might have taken 2 1/2 days to get started. Your fermentation temperature may have been different as mine usually is. My brews don't start showing signs of fermenting for 15 to 24 hours and then are still active on the 5th or even 6th day. From the point that I see the last bubble in the airlock I know that the yeast are still working for another 3 to 10 days before they really settle out. I feel that the yeast should be all settled before you add the dry hops so they will give up their aroma and then settle to the bottom. I rushed a batch and had hop particles still floating when I bottled. I won't do that again as they get stuck in place that are hard to get them out of. Your dry hopping should take about a week but some have reported that 2 weeks are still fine. The second largest brewery in Washington state puts a bag of hops inside the kegs when they sent them out (IPA only) and they remain in there until the kegs are returned so I don't think you need to rush to get them out.

I don't recall seeing any bubbles in my airlock during the first week in the bucket. But I understand that it doesn't have to have bubbles in the airlock for it to ferment. It has been sitting in my closet with the temperature right around 68-70F. Saturday was the only time I opened the lid to drop in the dry hops and take a hydrometer reading. It looks like some of the pictures I've seen here in the forum after one week.

So I dont need to bottle after two weeks? I could wait another week (three weeks total in the primary bucket is okay)? Or do I need to bottle when my FG hits the target of 1.019? Could it get lower than 1.019? Like 1.010? What happens when I leave it in another week and the FG is at 1.010 or lower? Higher ABV? I am so confused at this point. Some say after two weeks. Others say bottle when FG hits target of 1.019. Others say its okay to leave in primary bucket for 3-4 weeks. Maybe I am reading into this to much.

So should I wait for this Saturday (2 weeks of fermenting in primary bucket) and open up bucket take hydro reading and if it's at or near 1.019 prime for bottling?

This is something I almost always see from new brewers. Your beer is not done on a date you choose, it is done when the gravity reading says it is. Don't transfer to a secondary if the gravity is not at finishing gravity, don't bottle at 1.020 (unless it's a milk stout or something with a higher FG) and don't dry hop at week one, before it's done fermenting and before you transfer it off the yeast.

I should just go by what the instructions says.
In almost all cases (this one included), no. Here's what those "instructions" should have said:
1) Make 2L starter or pitch 2-3 packs of yeast.
2) Pitch yeast.
3) Forget about the beer for 2 weeks.
4) Check gravity. If finished (1.010 to 1.015 for a pale ale, 1.010 to 1.018 for an IPA), transfer to secondary and dry hop. (Don't dry hop on yeast, when it's cold, or before the beer is finished dropping in gravity.) If not finished, wait! Check gravity again in 2-3 days and start step #4 again.
5) Dry hop for 1-2 weeks.
6) Bottle. Let carbonate for 2-3 weeks, 3 weeks if you can stand it.
7) Enjoy!

It's a really simple process. I have no idea why so many of these kits screw it up. Probably marketing to "make beer fast!", who knows.

At any rate, pick up a copy of "How to Brew" by John Palmer. You can probably get it on amazon for like $12. Best brewing investment you'll ever make!

So I dont need to bottle after two weeks? I could wait another week (three weeks total in the primary bucket is okay)? Or do I need to bottle when my FG hits the target of 1.019? Could it get lower than 1.019? Like 1.010? What happens when I leave it in another week and the FG is at 1.010 or lower? Higher ABV? I am so confused at this point. Some say after two weeks. Others say bottle when FG hits target of 1.019. Others say its okay to leave in primary bucket for 3-4 weeks. Maybe I am reading into this to much.

Relax homeboy! ;) It's all good. I would highly suggest How to Brew, that way you're reading it straight from the source and can put everything else to rest. If you don't want to buy a copy, the 1st edition is free online :Intro to your first malt extract beer

-Amanda

Relax homeboy! ;) It's all good. I would highly suggest How to Brew, that way you're reading it straight from the source and can put everything else to rest. If you don't want to buy a copy, the 1st edition is free online :Intro to your first malt extract beer

-Amanda

I have and read How to Brew. Great read. I'm just a bit nervous about this batch. My first batch did not go. So I want this one to take.

I don't recall seeing any bubbles in my airlock during the first week in the bucket. But I understand that it doesn't have to have bubbles in the airlock for it to ferment. It has been sitting in my closet with the temperature right around 68-70F. Saturday was the only time I opened the lid to drop in the dry hops and take a hydrometer reading. It looks like some of the pictures I've seen here in the forum after one week.

You have already put he hops in, and the final gravity will not keep dropping the longer it sets, so no worries on that point. The beer will finish out when all the sugars are consumed by the yeast converting them to alcohol, thus the estimated FG of 1.019. Wait till new years day and take a gravity reading and if you are spot on wait two more days and do it again; as long as they match you are ready to bottle at that time and enjoy your brew a few weeks later. Relax and enjoy the holidays. Patients is the biggest secret to making beer. Cheers:mug:

So I dont need to bottle after two weeks?

No, you sure don't. I generally leave mine in the primary fermenter bucket for 3 weeks although the last one sat for 4 1/2 before bottling. The kit makers would like to give you a schedule but the yeast don't read about that schedule and just do their own thing. Give them plenty of time and they will do the job well.

Back