Better Bottle FYI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petho

Reaction score
I am a big fan of Better Bottles but I have stumbled upon one minor flaw. The have an oilcan effect. I went to raise the bottle out of my swamp cooler and the liquid in the airlock thingamajig got sucked back into the wort. DOH, and of course I dont think I used sanitized water in the airlock.
I won't go back to glass bottles but i will remove the airlock before lifting ( nah, I'll forget again).

You should always use sanitized water or vodka in the airlock. There could be suck back in the case of pressure changes...

I always pick mine up by one hand on the neck, and the other underneath it to minimize the bottle sides from compressing or expanding.

That's not a flaw of BetterBottles - it happens to any flexible material. I use Coopers fermenters (plastic) and the same thing happens and it does to people who use buckets as well. I would even imagine stainless fermenters would do it too. First - use the cheapest vodka you can find. Second, when moving it just remove the airlock and replace it when you put the fermenter where it's going. There's a bunch of C02 headspace so don't worry about infections and such cause the airlock will only be out a short time.

Rev.

Setting the better bottle inside an old milk crate or something similar will also allow you to pick it up without this happening.

Back