Radio Talk Show Hosts Gone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgln

Reaction score
Ok, nothing new people move on, get fired, shows get cancled but I thought this was strange.

I listen (well used to until shift changed) a radio talk show on the way home from work each day for years. Very popular show I thought. Anyway, apparently they did their Friday show as usual and the following Monday a music show repalced it and Tuesday afternoon two new guys were doing the talk show as if they were always there.

Turns out their contract was not renewed. But you would think there would be some notice, some goodbye, something final to end a show of many years. Nope just gone like it never existed. Loyal fans deserve some kind of closure IMO. Like a good friend who one day you find his house empty and no goodbye, nothing, you never see him again.

I understand maybe the station was afraid they would get nasty on air but they are professionals and I don't think they would have.

Check this out, I was told they all do it that way when they want to change programing. One day they just dissapear and replacements show up.

I think the station said they were going in a slight different direction. Ok, but do it like that?

Anyone else think that is weird?

It is weird in a way, but I think there are some psychological reasons why a radio station wouldn't want a "downer" show.

For what its worth I have seen that many times and it is always disconcerting to the avid listener.

Radio is a terribly tough business. Punctuatede by the fact that a few people make millions while thousands pay for airtime.

I did a live Libertarian webshow for a while and still do on occasion. The same show on terrestrial radio would cost $100 an hour minimum. That requires sponsures or deep pockets.

Many of the people you hear in local markets only make in the 20's or 30's, while the flagship personalities may break the 100's.

It is weird in a way, but I think there are some psychological reasons why a radio station wouldn't want a "downer" show.

For what its worth I have seen that many times and it is always disconcerting to the avid listener.

Radio is a terribly tough business. Punctuatede by the fact that a few people make millions while thousands pay for airtime.

I did a live Libertarian webshow for a while and still do on occasion. The same show on terrestrial radio would cost $100 an hour minimum. That requires sponsures or deep pockets.

Many of the people you hear in local markets only make in the 20's or 30's, while the flagship personalities may break the 100's.

Yeah, but if a TV talk show host had his/her show cancled there would be a "goodbye" show...unless of course it was on bad terms. Yeah, I would like to have had notice and a chance for them to say goodbye.

Funny thing too is I was on vacation the following week they got canned so I was actually listening to the station and heard the music the one day and the new hosts the next day. I just thought they were on vacation. :confused:

In Dallas it is 1000X more common for radio personalities to be pulled with no notice than to be given an opportunity to say goodbye on the air. The reason is pretty simple. Radio is a nasty business and it's too likely people will get on the air and spew bad stuff. Could be about why they were fired, their contracts, their coworkers, etc. It's live (generally with a few seconds of delay) so you can't edit it down like a TV show and once it's out there, it's out there. That's why they almost always pull personalities before the contract ends so they don't have a chance to start slipping stuff in. Even on a show that is civil in nature, the management folks don't want to take the chance.

We just lost an entire radio station. For some reason, NYC cannot support a rock station broadcasting current music. It just seems crazy to me that with all the people here and in the surrounding area, we never have a rock station for more than a few years before it disappears.

Is the OP talking about 101.5 and the Jersey Guys? If so, I was surprised to see them end so abruptly too. But they were in contract negotiations based on an internet search. I've listened to that station for a long time now and when all the hosts of a show are leaving, there is no farewell show. When one of the two hosts leaves, there isn't a farewell show either, but at least the remaining host explains it after the fact.

Is the OP talking about 101.5 and the Jersey Guys? If so, I was surprised to see them end so abruptly too. But they were in contract negotiations based on an internet search. I've listened to that station for a long time now and when all the hosts of a show are leaving, there is no farewell show. When one of the two hosts leaves, there isn't a farewell show either, but at least the remaining host explains it after the fact.

I was wondering the same thing. I used to listen to them, but haven't for a while due to work schedule. Kinda sucks.

I've worked in radio for years and can say that's almost always how it works if it's the station's choice to terminate someone. I've worked places where you'd come out of the studio and find a box with your personal belongings from your office sitting there and everything else gone from your office/desk. In smaller/medium markets the air staff often do sales and they don't want you taking your contact list or anything with you.

Ok, nothing new people move on, get fired, shows get cancled but I thought this was strange.

I listen (well used to until shift changed) a radio talk show on the way home from work each day for years. Very popular show I thought. Anyway, apparently they did their Friday show as usual and the following Monday a music show repalced it and Tuesday afternoon two new guys were doing the talk show as if they were always there.

Turns out their contract was not renewed. But you would think there would be some notice, some goodbye, something final to end a show of many years. Nope just gone like it never existed. Loyal fans deserve some kind of closure IMO. Like a good friend who one day you find his house empty and no goodbye, nothing, you never see him again.

I understand maybe the station was afraid they would get nasty on air but they are professionals and I don't think they would have.

Check this out, I was told they all do it that way when they want to change programing. One day they just dissapear and replacements show up.

I think the station said they were going in a slight different direction. Ok, but do it like that?

Anyone else think that is weird?

A station round here did the same thing but just replaced on of the DJs. Never said a word. You'd think at least one person on air would say something. Nope. Nothing.

Is the OP talking about 101.5 and the Jersey Guys?

I'm pretty sure that is what he is talking about because I thought the same thing. When I moved to NJ 7 years ago it was the Carton and Rossi show. That show was really good. I mean Ray was the straight and Carton was the comic and he was really funny. His personality is what made the show. After Carton left to go on to bigger and better things (i.e. his show with Boomer Esiason) they put Casey on. I only listened because they talk about NJ topics but he was really boring. Occasionally he was good but mostly the callers and the topics made the show. They must have gotten extensions because they were on for a few years. From what the radio says Ray has a show late at night or something?? Anyway the new guys are Jeff Deminski & Bill Doyle. I dont know much about them but they seem ok. I guess only time will tell.

Same thing happened in Omaha a couple years ago. The morning show had a team of three that started when the station first aired. The guy was the top dog. One morning same old great show, next day he's gone. Never any explanation at all. I think he was on one of the other stations, but I did not follow.

Sure seemed strange the way he was just gone.

I work in radio and had this very thing happen to a show I worked on. The host couldn't agree on a new contract and so out the door he went. He was on-air for 13 years and didn't get a chance to say goodbye. Listeners were nonetheless pretty pissed.

Happens all the time.

Yep.

I'm pretty sure that is what he is talking about because I thought the same thing. When I moved to NJ 7 years ago it was the Carton and Rossi show. That show was really good. I mean Ray was the straight and Carton was the comic and he was really funny. His personality is what made the show. After Carton left to go on to bigger and better things (i.e. his show with Boomer Esiason) they put Casey on. I only listened because they talk about NJ topics but he was really boring. Occasionally he was good but mostly the callers and the topics made the show. They must have gotten extensions because they were on for a few years. From what the radio says Ray has a show late at night or something?? Anyway the new guys are Jeff Deminski & Bill Doyle. I dont know much about them but they seem ok. I guess only time will tell.

There were times I turned them off because Casey could be annoying in the fact that he would not let people who call in make a point againt his before he interupts them and tells them what they are thinking and why they are wrong then justs hangs up on them, before that person even got chance to speak. Then if a caller agreed with them they would let you talk uninterupted. That got on my nerves sometimes especially if it sounded like the person was going to make an inteligent point.

One time a guy called in and said he wanted them to promise they would not interupt him before they let him speak his point. After 10 minutes of the guy asking for that and them avoiding doing so either the guy hung up or they did.

That is why I would never call into that show (never would anyway) if my point was opposite theirs because they will never let you finish speaking then speak for you, hang up on you and make you look stupid because your point never got across.

Overall I found some of the topics interesting and intestering to see what callers had to say. I liked the bit on Fridays where Cassy would ask Rossi a question and callers would agree or disagee with his answer to win a can of spam.

I've worked in radio for years and can say that's almost always how it works if it's the station's choice to terminate someone. I've worked places where you'd come out of the studio and find a box with your personal belongings from your office sitting there and everything else gone from your office/desk. In smaller/medium markets the air staff often do sales and they don't want you taking your contact list or anything with you.

That must be tough to work that job never having a clue when the day will come you will be told to get out. At least most jobs unless you screw up you usually get some notice or at least some writing on the wall.

A station round here did the same thing but just replaced on of the DJs. Never said a word. You'd think at least one person on air would say something. Nope. Nothing.

And as far as I know (being basically a talk show station) no other show hosts talked about it either...and no callers calling in to ask about it. I bet their screeners don't let people on the air who want to bring up the topic. The Bermuda Triangle of radio...you just dissapear as if you never existed.

These guy aren't exactly new. They were on in the same time slot almost fifteen years ago(man i'm gettin old).

These guy aren't exactly new. They were on in the same time slot almost fifteen years ago(man i'm gettin old).

Seems too these guys (all show host pairs) come as a package. I guess they follow each other from job to job? Must be a tuff job picking up roots and moving around the country. Tuff on family and friends too. I guess if it pays enough I would too.

And as far as I know (being basically a talk show station) no other show hosts talked about it either...and no callers calling in to ask about it. I bet their screeners don't let people on the air who want to bring up the topic. The Bermuda Triangle of radio...you just dissapear as if you never existed.

Seems a shame, but I guess if you get transferred the station doesn't want people following you?

That must be tough to work that job never having a clue when the day will come you will be told to get out. At least most jobs unless you screw up you usually get some notice or at least some writing on the wall.

Sometimes there's warning signs. If you're paying attention and doing your job you should be able to tell if your show is falling out of favor or if the station seems to be going in a different direction. But there's always the out of the blue things. I've known stations that changed format and canned most of the air staff without warning.

One station I worked at in the mid 90's... around mid June the station's owners announced there was going to be a meeting on July 31st with "big news" that everyone would want to hear. For 6 weeks they kept reminding us to keep that afternoon open so we'd all be there. When the day came and we all gathered around the conference table they passed out envelopes and said "These are your final paychecks. As of midnight tonight, the station is now dark. Please pick up a cardboard box on your way out of the conference room. You have 30 minutes to collect your personal belongings and be off the property. Thank you for your service." and they walked out.

Happens all the time. It is also normal in larger markets that there is essentially a non-compete clause as part of the termination that prevents you from working on the air in the same or similar market for a set amount of time. Strange that they can prevent you from finding a new job, but at least you are paid for a period of time while not working. Sort of a "your fired", but not really.

Sometimes there's warning signs. If you're paying attention and doing your job you should be able to tell if your show is falling out of favor or if the station seems to be going in a different direction. But there's always the out of the blue things. I've known stations that changed format and canned most of the air staff without warning.

One station I worked at in the mid 90's... around mid June the station's owners announced there was going to be a meeting on July 31st with "big news" that everyone would want to hear. For 6 weeks they kept reminding us to keep that afternoon open so we'd all be there. When the day came and we all gathered around the conference table they passed out envelopes and said "These are your final paychecks. As of midnight tonight, the station is now dark. Please pick up a cardboard box on your way out of the conference room. You have 30 minutes to collect your personal belongings and be off the property. Thank you for your service." and they walked out.

Wow. That is completely unreal. But it's dirty, if they warned people about it it would affect their performance, that's for sure.

I know radio also makes more use of the "non compete" clause than just about any business.

Back