Primary Technique with fruit pulp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaver

Reaction score
Planning to put the Tangerine wine into the secondaries today. Thinking about all the pulp I have in the must right now and how to best drain that out. I was wondering... Do those who use fruit pulp in their must put the nylon bag into the primary (bucket in my case) like a garbage bag. Proceed as normal. Than when it's time to strain, pull the bag up and out like taking out the trash.

I've seen a few references to tying off the bag w/ various chunked components in it. And it will float, teabag style on the must. I didn't see any other dicsussions or suggestions when I have been reading back thru the pages. Does anyone do it the way I've suggested?

Thats how I do mine, but I don't know if it is the "best" way to get rid of the pulp.

I think a loose pulp must MAY have a better surface area to liquid ratio???

+1

When I use fruit for wine or mead I prefer to use a nylon bag. I've done it now with fruit and spices 1/2 a dozen times with great results. IMHO the wine tends to clear quicker using this method.

Back