Future Proofing HERMS Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrlisk

Reaction score
Hey all -

I'm wanting to add temperature monitoring to a homebrewery setup that is in the works (I primarily do extract at the moment, so the first part I'm improving is the brew kettle).

My question is if I can use a 1/16 DIN PID to simply monitor temps using a liquid tight RTD sensor (basically create a glorified digital thermometer). Down the road, I'll be incorporating an eHLT/eBK and would utilize the PID(s) for the heating element(s). Rather than spend money on an analog thermometer, I'd like to future proof the design (and save money along the way).

Just wanted to be sure it's as simple as wiring the PID to switched 110v power and hooking up the RTD sensor.

Thanks!

Awesome. That's what I've seen as well, in terms of pricing. Given their accuracy, I figure it's a better choice anyhow and will provide more functionality down the road.

Yes, that will work. Don't forget you'll either buy a PID in a box, or buy a PID and a box and fit it together as a project. The Auber 2362 is a 1/16 PID and I use it for controlling my mash temps with a RIMS Tube. Works great.

PICT3946.jpg
PICT3947.jpg
PICT3950.jpg

IME, future proofing is many things. There's your choice of components and the options they offer, but it's also space management. I'm doing the same thing with a large toolbox style controller. When I laid out the holes I'd cut for my switches/outlets, I made sure I would have room to put more PID's and outlets if I ever decided to add a vessel. So it wouldn't hurt to buy a decent quality box in a size slightly bigger than you'll need. It'll be easier to wire up front....then you'll have room to grow.

Same thing goes for a stand if you build one. Allow for modification.

Yes, if I had mine to do over, I would buy either two large enclosures (high amp stuff in one enclosure and controls in another) or one humongous one. When I first bought my enclosure I thought it was luxuriously sized - now I feel cramped.

Great input everyone! I think I may take the route of "investing" in the larger enclosure, to allow for future upgrades and to only have to buy once. I was going to put the PID in a smaller project box, but that money would be better spent on the enclosure I'll probably wind up with in the end.

also - that ammo can is awesome

Keep in mind the material you pick. Seriously, plastic/fiberglass is fine...metal is a HUGE PITA TO MODIFY, unless you want to spend an entire week drilling and hacking away (no joke). It's ridiculous how much a simple metal box costs anyway....

You should look at the penrose kettle....best deal going....if you wanna futureproof, buy one while they're still cheap!

I'll look at some plastic ones. Metal is a little more work and money for sure.

Funny you should mention those pots. I just saw a thread about them today! Definitely will look into them.

Plastic enclosures are a good way to go. Also good call on separating High-Power/Voltage From UI controls, way safer.

I use electrical box enclosures designed for wet environments (grey PVC, home depot type stuff) and watertight conduit to connect between boxes. Works great, easy to work with and you don't have to worry about stray electrons finding their way into your hands.

Back