Rather Arid Porter - a little too dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggyt

Reaction score
I brewed a robust porter on 7/6, mashed low at 150, and pitched WLP007 - Dry English Ale. Normally, my IPAs mashed at the same temps with the same yeast attenuate great, finishing low (1.006-1.010) but based on grain bill, still retain enough residual sweetness to balance the bitterness.

Just sampled my porter today and the sweetness is missing, most likely because my bittering addition is a bit harsh (time will help this).

Here's the recipe:

10 gallon batch
Mash 150 for 60 min
WLP007 - repitch, starter

Grain
16# Golden Promise
1# Am Crystal 90
1# Choc Malt
1# Choc Wheat
1/2# Black Patent

Hops
2oz Chinook - 90 min
1oz Centennial - 20
1oz Centennial - 10

Obviously I mashed way too low for what I wanted. My question now:

Is there anything I can do to "back" sweeten this beer without adding too many fermentables?

I was thinking malto-dextrin, but I've never used it, nor do I know if that would fix the issue. I plan on adding coffee to one secondary and vanilla beans to the other, but without some sweetness/maltiness to round out the flavors, I may hold off...

maltodextrin adds body, not much sweetness.

lactose would help backsweeten without being fermentable and only adds some body.

i think you're tasting the black patent in a young beer. stay calm :)

Chinook definitely is the culprit...beer's kegged with a hazelnut coffee addition. Great flavor but the Chinook bitterness comes through in the finish pretty strong...still drinkable though.

Back