Opinions - Oxygenation when using soda/corney kegs for fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BargainFittings

Vendor / Owner
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I have decided to start using corney kegs to ferment in.

One idea that has rolled around in my head was to fill / pressurize the head space with oxygen, shake the keg, let it rest a bit, vent and then pitch the yeast. Simple, no stone to clean etc.

This is assuming .5 gallon of head space.

Another idea is to bubble hepa filtered air through the outlet dip tube for a period of time. Downside being foam coming out the airlock.

Any negatives do you think?

With some of the Cornies in my herd I can click the vent valve to open position, so I _could_, with some connectors, bubble oxygen in the black post/ dip tube - slowly- and let it vent out the overpressure.

For an airlock I just put a piece of tube on a grey post and submerge the other end in a milk jug with some water, no need to reinvent the wheel mounting "an airlock" ot a "grey post". Pics in my small gallery last time I looked.

I use a 15 gallon corny for ferments, the action of flowing the wort in from the top gives it plenty of splashing and Oxygen for my needs. I don't however see any problems with your ideas. Best part of the process will be the transfer after ferment, enjoy.

Worst case scenario, you could just get one of those steel wand things with a diffusion stone on the end that hooks up to an oxygen bottle. Sanitize, and stick into the opening in the carboy.

I like the bubbling through the dip tube idea. If you just took off the air in post, it would vent extremely easily.

The idea is to not have a stone and just infuse it with the head space.

I'm really getting down to very simple equipment process. There is enough to clean already.

My other idea was to create an inline aerator to add oxygen during transfer to the keg. A venturi injector is my first thought.

Samc,

It would be nice to have some 15 gallon corny kegs! I would love to have a couple 10 gallon ones.

You're in the business, contact one of the manufacturers and have them send you a sample keg to demo prior to selling them on BF website. If that works you owe me a beer.

You're in the business, contact one of the manufacturers and have them send you a sample keg to demo prior to selling them on BF website. If that works you owe me a beer.

If it worked out that way I'd send you a case of beer.

I have trouble getting samples of $2-$5.00 items.

Back