krausen holding after 12 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
I brewed a Blond Ale with US-05 12 days ago and the krausen is still there. The ambient temperature was 18C or so throughout.

Can i place the carboy in my basement to help drop the krausen out? Its about 8-10C ambient.

I read on the forum that one person had similar experience with US-05.

What's the current SG? It may not be done.

I still haven't taken a hydro reading. I was planning on doing it my next batch. I guess i need one of those turkey basters or something to get a sample. I'm sure theres a few vids on youtube showing how to take a reading. I hope so anyways. :)

I've had krausen stay suspended above the beer on multiple occasions. I just gently rack the clear stuff inbetween the trub on bottom and krausen on top. :)

I've had krausen stay suspended above the beer on multiple occasions. I just gently rack the clear stuff inbetween the trub on bottom and krausen on top. :)

That's good to read. I just racked a Hoegaarden clone to a keg and it had a thick layer of foam (the krausen) on top after 3 weeks in the fermenter.

I hit my FG number so I wasn't worried but I was wondering whether it happened for others.

Huh, weird...I just made a batch with Am. Ale II last weekend. All aggressive fermentation has stopped, which is usually when my krausen's fall, but I checked it this morning and I still have 3 inches of krausen. My only guess is that this beer is gonna have awesome head retention...

Back