Beef Tenderloin with Dark Ale Sauce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiery Sword

Reaction score
First off, I love the new Cooking & Pairing forum. I do tons of beer cooking....and I can't wait to try some other peope's stuff.

This is a variation of something I once saw on TV. I was too drunk to remember the actualy recipe so this is my version:

2 tablespoons butter
Salt & Pepper
2 cups dark ale (I've use mainly Sam Adams Boston Ale)
2 tablespoons veggie oil
(1) 2-3 pound beef tenderloin (room temp before cooking!)
1/2 cup Belgian ale
1 red onion (sliced)
1 cup dry mushrooms, soaked in 1 more cup Dark Ale
2 cups veal or beef stock (veal stock is gooood)
1/2 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 450F

Season the meat with salt & pepper all over while heating up the oil in a heavy, ovenproof (cast iron be good) frying pan (if no oven-proof pan, have a casserole waiting and heating in the oven). Once the pan is very hot (oil is smoking a bit) sear the meat evenly on all sides. Once seared, drain most of the fat and deglaze with the 1/2 cup Belgian ale. Drink rest of Belgian beer from bottle. :D

Transfer pan to 450F oven for 15-20 minutes (or until your trusty digital probe lets you into the bottom end of the medium rare zone......it will coast up 4-5 degrees once it's out). When done, remove pan from oven and allow meat to sit 5-6 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a pot, add the onions and cook 4 or so minutes until the onions have gone translucent. Strain the beer-soaked mushrooms (save the beer for later!) and add the mushrooms to the pot with the onions, cook another 2-3 minutes. Deglaze with 2 cups Dark Ale and reduce at least half way, more if you can wait. Next, add the beer that the mushrooms were soaking in and reduce by 1/2 to 2/3. Add the veal/beef stock, then add the cream. Reduce heat to low and allow to thicken. Flavor with salt and pepper.

Cut up meat, dump on the Ale sauce. Drink more beer. :drunk: Ask SWMBO to clean up since you cooked. :D

Side note:
Anything over medium rare = overcooked. Margarine = boo! Not heavy cream = BOOOOOO!!!!!! And don't you DARE try this with BMC.

Back