Liquid Orgasm Espresso Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alemonkey

Reaction score
I made this a year ago and SWMBO (the Starbucks Addict) has been after me to make it ever since. I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I thought it was awesome too - one of those beers you don't drink much of because you want to hoard it. So, I decided to brew it today.

You'd think with all those dark grains it would be too astringent, but 24 oz of espresso dumped right into the keg seems to blend nicely with it. The trick here is to use a lightly roasted coffee with little oil. Too much oil will kill the head.

ProMash Recipe Printout

Recipe : Liquid Orgasm Espresso Stout

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (GAL): 6.00 Wort Size (GAL): 6.00
Total Grain (LBS): 16.50
Anticipated OG: 1.067 Plato: 16.29
Anticipated SRM: 54.3
Anticipated IBU: 44.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
66.7 11.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
15.2 2.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
3.0 0.50 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
9.1 1.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
3.0 0.50 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450
3.0 0.50 lbs. Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz. Northern Brewer Whole 6.50 44.8 60 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP002 English Ale

Add 24 oz freshly brewed espresso at kegging.

Baron von BeeGee said:
That looks like a nice recipe. I definitely agree with you on the coffee in this case, but I think darkly roasted coffee is a waste regardless of the application!

I hear you there - when I do go to Charbucks with her, I can barely choke down one of their regular coffees, let alone an espresso. Luckily, we have a really good local coffee shop here that knows how to roast beans without burning them.

My wife and I both love strong coffee so I think I'll give this a go. How do you suppose the espresso would affect bottle aging? I'm at least a year away from kegging and I would hat eot end up with flat bottles.

I don't think it would be a problem - you could just add it to your bottling bucket right before racking the beer to it.

for bottling I've read you should steep about a half pound of coffee (maybe less for expresso) in 24 oz. of cold water for about a day so as to not extract all the oils that will kill the carbonation/head.

would probably be easiest to do if you had a french press.

do you think i can get away with adding some cream and taking this to work as my morning coffee??? i love iced coffee so i would love to do this!!

My office actually encourages drinking now & then, but then again, I'm self employed and work at home. It's OK, but sometimes the boss is an a$$.

I did something similar...brewed a 0.092 OG imperial stout. Added 8oz of baker's chocolate 20 minutes before flameout, and added a whole pot (12 cups) of brewed/cooled coffee to the primary. Let it age for a long time in secondary. It's just now getting carbonated...delicious stuff, like a big dessert.

Back