Sierra Nevada Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DtownRiot

Reaction score
So I've been trying to find a new microbrew to explore. I've been stuck on Magic Hat for a long time, although I have strayed numerous times from the Hat, I seem to come back. I remember liking Sierra's pale ale, so I decided to get their wheat beer. Damn this is tasty. But, I don't see how it is a wheat. It almost tastes like an IPA to me. Lots of hops for sure, very little wheat taste. I like the beer dont get me wrong, one of my new favorites, but I dont think its a wheat. What do you guys think of it? Since wheats have been my new thing as of late, drinking and brewing, does anyone know of the ingredients/recipe for a clone?

Wheat or their new hefeweizen called Kellerweiss? Damn...really would love to try that Kellerweiss. Sucks we can't get it here

I'm not what you would call a "hop head". I tried one of their Pale Ales last week and it about made my hair stand up. VERY hoppy, but actually not too bad.

I need to give some of their other stuff a try.

i'm surprised you cannot get the kellerweis down on the east coast, we have it up here in the panhandle and it's damn good.

i'm surprised you cannot get the kellerweis down on the east coast, we have it up here in the panhandle and it's damn good.

It's here, but it's nothing to write home about. A good solid hefe, with all the banana you're looking for. Overall, didn't knock my socks off, but it didn't make me spit it out either. If I feel the need for yeast farts I'll pick some up :)

It's probably the local distributor here at the Space Coast. I'm sure if I go to Orlando I can find it. Since they started carrying some, all local bars have SNAP, Longhammer IPA and a handfull of others... all of a sudden. I know that most beer places here buy from outside
/OT

Wheat or their new hefeweizen called Kellerweiss? Damn...really would love to try that Kellerweiss. Sucks we can't get it here

My local stores have an abundance of Kellerweiss, Summerfest and SNPA. I haven't been able to find any Torpedo for almost 2 months!! Kellerweiss is tasty though, esp if you like a bavarian style hefe. I enjoyed my sixxer but I likely wont get it again. SN can't brew a bad beer as far as I'm concerned...

I can't stand anything put out by Sierra Nevada. Every beer they make just tastes like someone added 4x the proper amount of hops.

It doesn't help that I don't care for most pale ale's to start with.

and hoppy beer is SA's claim to fame.

If anyone does stumble across a really good clone, I'd like to try it out. The reason is that Sierra Nevada has discontinued their production bottling of their "wheat beer". That's the one in the red bottles. It has been replaced by Kellerweis, and now their only American Wheat still made is the "Crystal Wheat" which is only distributed in kegs. I liked the original wheat beer and thought it was a great summertime beer...I wish they would have changed it to a seasonal release rather than just discontinuing the product entirely.

So, if someone has some clone recipes that are tried and true please do share! :D

Damn, I was ready to go pick up a 6er because it's probably been a few years since I had one. I make a hoppy american wheat so I was wanting to compare.

Damn, I was ready to go pick up a 6er because it's probably been a few years since I had one. I make a hoppy american wheat so I was wanting to compare.

It's possible you can still pick it up. There are a couple stores even here in Chico that still have it, but they haven't been brewing it for months so the quality is suspect.

Picked up a sixer of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis today.

kellerweis-bot-bottom.jpg

It is by far the BEST German style Weiss beer brewed in America from a commercial brewery.

Damn Tasty!

What should it's acronym be SNKW? Anyway I bought a 6er of it this past weekend too and I really like it.

Damnit... still not available anywhere here. Went to several stores this weekend and all they carry right now is their wheat, pale ale, and Torpedo. Oh well... one day :)

Picked up a sixer of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis today.

kellerweis-bot-bottom.jpg

It is by far the BEST German style Weiss beer brewed in America from a commercial brewery.

Damn Tasty!

Here Here, the old SN Wheat I found mediocre, this kellerweis on the other hand, wow.

Back