Forgot to stir

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmgd70

Reaction score
just finished my first ever batch yesterday. wasn't sure on all steps. after adding my wort to my fermenter and topping up to five gallons i took my gravity reading which was really low. i am pretty sure it was because i did not stir...idiot. however i did not realize until today after doing some internet researching. my question is, should i let it be or stir it now or what?

Let it be. For my first few batches I never knew I was suppose to aerate. Lag time was pretty long (3 days in one case), but it eventually took off.

The yeast will find the fermentables and convert them. While I think you could gently sitr the brew now with no ill effects there is a chance you could cause a problem. Best to wait it out and let the yeast do their job. Its the only thing they do and they do it well.

Welcome to HBT!

One thing you might want to note is that because you didn't aerate, your yeast might be a bit slower. I only mention this because you said it was your first batch and you will be impatient to drink this beer. Do not bottle this beer without knowing for sure that it has finished! The airlock or a calender will not tell you. Use a hydrometer!

I did my initial from the pour to Primary, then waited 72 hrs as I saw the bubbling stop, just to check how far along it was when it stopped bubbling.
Reason I figured was that the yeast had probably generated enough alcohol to prevent any infection from breaking the seal on the Air Lock. Re-installed air lock when done taking sample and let it sit. 8 more days to go then to secondary. I'll take my next reading then.

Cheers and congrats on your first brewing! I'm only a few days ahead of you.

As infrequently as possible, because each time you open the fermenter you risk contamination. Let your beer sit and do its thing until the bubbles stop, then give it another day. Take a reading then and see where you stand.

Taking a reading before 7 to 10 days is a waste.

I agree, and unless you think there's something wrong it only needs to be checked if you plan to do something with it (like rack into secondary or bottle) and want to be sure it's done. Most of mine get checked only twice - once right before pitching the yeast, and again after 10-14 days before racking into secondary.

Latest posts

Back