Hot Side Aeration...It's Not a Myth!!! (Maybe it is)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well Ladies and Gentlemen, I am stuck with 10 gallons of Kegged Ordinary Botter, that has been Oxidized.:( Yes indeedie. Ya see, my Sparging tube is to short. So it hangs only halfway down into my Boil Kettle. Hence, a lot of splashing when I Sparge. I figures, no biggie. HSA will never happen to me:fro: When I tried my Hydrometer samples on Monday and on Weds, I got a definate Cardboard/stale tase and odor from my ordinary bitter. Not kewl.

What kills me about this is that I have been sparging like this for about 20 batches now, and I have never had a problem. I always figured that HSA was a myth because I never got bit by that bogey man. Well, he found my Brewery on that given Brew Day, and he has taught me a lesson. never splash your Wort around when the temp is over 80 degrees.

Looks like Oxidized Ordinary Bitter for a little while for this Brewer.:tank:

Shouldn't that oxygen be boiled out of the beer durring the boil? My sparge is the exact same and i'v never had a problem.

If you'd sparged like that 20 times and only got this problem on the 20th, what makes you think that's what caused the problem? I'd say that pretty much rules it out.

Then I wonder what else could have caused it?:confused: The fermentation was at a steady 66-68 degrees. Now I am really anxious to try the beer once it is carbonated on Sunday. Maybe I am reading to much into the flavor and it's not oxidized at all? I'll take a test sample of it tomorrow evening.

I agree.

Something else must have changed in your process.

The only thing that changed in my process was that I usually let my beers sit in the Primary for 3 weeks. This one was only in the Primary for 11 days, but Fermentation was complete(2 seperate hydrometer readings taken 2 days apart). I wanted the beer for my Brew and BarB-Q this weekend. That parth has been cancelled due to a work conflict. Anxious to try this beer again tomorrow evening.

The only thing that changed in my process was that I usually let my beers sit in the Primary for 3 weeks. This one was only in the Primary for 11 days, but Fermentation was complete(2 seperate hydrometer readings taken 2 days apart). I wanted the beer for my Brew and BarB-Q this weekend. That parth has been cancelled due to a work conflict. Anxious to try this beer again tomorrow evening.

this could very well be it. the yeast have not had the same amount of time to clean up all of the off flavors created during fermentation. aging will help this. but you are tasting this beer far earlier than you would have otherwise.

Then I wonder what else could have caused it? The fermentation was at a steady 66-68 degrees. Now I am really anxious to try the beer once it is carbonated on Sunday. Maybe I am reading to much into the flavor and it's not oxidized at all? I'll take a test sample of it tomorrow evening.
Good plan, ditching a batch because the hydro samples are not so tasty is a waste. Bad water, sick yeast, bacteria, mold, the list of things that can cause off flavors is long and distinguished.

Some of the best beers made probably tasted like ass before they had time to age out.

Good plan, ditching a batch because the hydro samples are not so tasty is a waste. Bad water, sick yeast, bacteria, mold, the list of things that can cause off flavors is long and distinguished.

Some of the best beers made probably tasted like ass before they had time to age out.

In cervisia veritas... never give up on a batch until you've bottled and aged it first!

In cervisia veritas... never give up on a batch until you've bottled and aged it first!

I am not giving up on it seeing as it is so young. Tried another galss this evening, and i am already seeing it turn. Not so much of the Cardboard flavor, and a little more Bittering hops are shing through. Looks like it need a couple weeks before I can honestly take a taste and see what's going on.

Notice my signature. Beef butt ale turned out pretty good after 6 weeks, sadly it was gone by week 8...

Shouldn't that oxygen be boiled out of the beer durring the boil? My sparge is the exact same and i'v never had a problem.

Free oxygen will. Bound oxygen will not and is the mechanism for HSA. Thing is it's difficult---if not impossible---to differentiate between HSA (which is unlikely in the homebrew setting) and the result of another mechanism like racking.

Maybe I am reading to much into the flavor and it's not oxidized at all?
That's what I'm thinking. Oxidation is usually associated with beer that's been on the shelf for a while.

Good luck with it, sucks to have a batch go bad. :(

Well, just had a feelow Home Brewer (A BJCP Judge) over for a Cigar and a Beer while I brew my Black Forest Stout. I gave him a sample, without saying anything, and he said "Damned fine Green Ordinary Bittrt. Outta be great in a couple of weeks." So, my OCD has shined through again. Looks like it's a green beer that I am not used to seeing as how all of my beers sit in the primary for 3 weeks, as this one only sat in the Primary for 10 days. Still though, I did lengthen my Sparging hose, just for good measure.:mug:

Well, just had a feelow Home Brewer (A BJCP Judge) over for a Cigar and a Beer while I brew my Black Forest Stout. I gave him a sample, without saying anything, and he said "Damned fine Green Ordinary Bittrt. Outta be great in a couple of weeks." So, my OCD has shined through again. Looks like it's a green beer that I am not used to seeing as how all of my beers sit in the primary for 3 weeks, as this one only sat in the Primary for 10 days. Still though, I did lengthen my Sparging hose, just for good measure.:mug:

I'll be the first one to say it then...Told ya so!!! :D

Don't nyah nyah nyah something that has been proven to be a myth, or try to self diagnose something until you have given the beer sufficient time to do what it supposed to do, i/e mature...In other words don't blame something else, if you haven't followed a good brewing process...

Glad to see you don't decide to dump in...now sit it in you closet and come back in a few weeks...

:mug:

Read this and see what All of us were saying...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

Well, I have one keg Carbed and ready for drinking. Granted, I am working on a Keg of Left over brown ale, so it'll be at least a Week before I get to the Ordinary Bitter. But, the second keg oughta have a good 3-4 weeks before I get to it. :mug:

BTW, I never did give up n this beer. I was just pondering what could have happened. Hence, this thread. That's why this place is so great. Ask a question, and get a bunch of replies from a bunch of great Home Brewers that are open minded and more times then not, a lively bunch.:ban:

Now, I need to go finish up my Black Forest Stout.:rockin:

If you'd sparged like that 20 times and only got this problem on the 20th, what makes you think that's what caused the problem? I'd say that pretty much rules it out.

mythwalrus_2.jpg

Back