possible stuck fermentation??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerLuvnGrl

Reaction score
so i brewed last sunday my first partial grain brew.. today is friday little to no activity in the bucket...

any suggestions on what i should do? i havent taken a specific gravity yet..but i plan on doing it later...

the recipe i used stated to fermentor in the first fermentor 7 days then onto the carboy...im afraid that maybe the sugars didnt all change...

let me know! i need advice..

Until you take a SG reading you don't really know if it's stuck or just done. I did a hefeweizen last Saturday that is finished this morning, but the last time I brewed it it fermented for two weeks. Depends a lot on ambient conditions.

If you saw activity earlier in the week, then it is probably done. My shortest ferment was 18 hours, the longest (a high-gravity barleywine) 7 months.

yesterday was when i noticed it had really slowed down.. just took a specific gravity and it was 1.010..

should i wait a few more days in the 1st or should i go ahead and rack it today?

;) did u taste the sample? my mouth seems better at gadging fermentation, than my inabliity to line up the small lines on the hydro...

of course tasting is part of the test.. tasted pretty good i could definately taste the sweetness in it.. and that was what i was shooting for! definately a different taste from our first brew

BeerLuvnGrl said:
of course tasting is part of the test.. tasted pretty good i could definately taste the sweetness in it.. and that was what i was shooting for! definately a different taste from our first brew
at 1.010 I would say your fermentation is definately finished unless you are brewing a BMC or a mead.:mug:
Don't expect every batch to be the same. All the variables affect the length of fermentation (yeast type, gravity, temprature, batch size etc...)

Back