Is there a pump which can be placed above the MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walther

Reaction score
In other words, is there an available pump that can create an initial vacuum to suck up the fluid?

Cheers,
walther

The term is "self-priming". I don't personally know of one, though I think diaphragm pumps typically are self-priming... could be wrong.

I've seen them in one of the major brewing shops' catalogues...

EDIT: Williams has this, "SELF PRIMING PUMP WITH VARIABLE SPEED".

J85.JPG

This food grade diaphram pump is self priming, and will pull wort or wine out of a fermenter up to 9' higher than the level of the fermenter. It features a built in stainless steel cleanable strainer for catching grape skins and hop particles before they clog the diaphram, and a variable speed control (with on off switch) so you can change the flow rate. Ideal for transferring your fermented beer or wine to a secondary or bottling tank. Flow rate is 3-5 gallons per minute.

Included are 3' of 1/2" inner diameter food grade input and output hoses, and 1/2" hose barbs for the inlet and outlets. Also included (see the more info button below for a picture) are hose clamps and a spare 1/2" hose barb and 1/2" interchangeable NPT male outlet. See below for more hose (sold by the foot). Instuctions are included. Imported.

Temperature Warning: This pump has a maximum working temperature of 110° F, so it cannot be used for hot wort transfer. For a food grade pump that is not self priming, but will withstand the heat, see our R93 Transfer Pump (click this link).

That would probably be a deal-killer for me. I haven't seen a self-priming pump that will handle boiling temperatures, but seems like one's got to exist somewhere.

What's stopping you from getting the pump under the MLT? Do you like having it on the floor or something? It doesn't have to be much lower, maybe an inch or two just to flood the pump housing to prime it.

If I could place the pump above the MLT, then I could skip all the work with getting pipes through a stainless steel MLT.

I do not have any experience in plumbing or soldering copper, also there are a million different fittings, which would take me forever to figure out :)

With the pump above it all, I could fix it to the wall, and run silikon tubes to everything (I think), I am currently planning my setup.

Thank you for the replies,

Even with the pump above the MT, you still need to draw wort from the bottom. You want to use the grain bed as a filter. It only makes sense to have the suction for the pump at the bottom of the MT. Unless I completely misunderstand what you are trying to accomplish.

Thank you for all the replies!

I was going to draw from the bottom, just with a silkon tube going down there.

Cheers,
walther

I would strongly encourage you to drill holes into the MT and install a weldless bulkhead fitting (available at Norther Brewer). You can go to the local hardware store and tell the attendant what you are attempting and he will hook you up with the other fittings you need. This is a tried and true method. Don't fix it if it aint broke!

Ah, thanks,

I am new to this, so I just assumend silicon tubing was best (it is for most things, due to its inert nature).

cheers,
walther

It is good, but it also soft. I think a long run on a low suction pickup would crush on you. I also agree that it isn't very hard to do the weldless set-up.

Back