flaked corn = corn flakes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manco171

Reaction score
like the title says. what is the difference

excuse me it seems my answer has been applied in another thread
move along, nothing to see here lol

I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember people saying "instant grits" is what you use in place of flaked corn.

Completely different. It's like rolled oats vs Cheerios. You could probably do something interesting with corn flakes in your brew, but it's not a substitution.

Although if you used enough corn flakes in your brew you could get your recommended daily intake of vitamins and minerals just from having a beer. Now talk about a breakfast substitution - I think you're on to something! :D

Adding a bit more to my earlier post:

Here's a discussion (elsewhere) where someone describes how they have used Corn Flakes in their beer: http://hbd.org/brewsandviews/messages/20001/20109.html?1074488172

I looked up the ingredients for Kellogg's Corn Flakes. It's got corn, sugar, malt flavor, and some salt. Since all of those except the salt are pretty standard beer adjuncts, I don't think there'd be any major problems assuming their processing/cooking sufficiently gelatinizes the corn. So it's probably a lot closer than Cheerios to oats, but still not a substitution.

edit: I see m_stodd posted the ingredients link above my post...

Back