ipa violent fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qwkdrw

Reaction score
Hi please help

My Ipa had 2 days of a very crazy fermentation. It looks to me like all my hops are either on the sides of my carboy or in the blow off tube that i put on after it blew the airlock of many times. What do I do? What can I do?
I love hops and worried i have lost all the flavor.:confused::mad:

Normally you don't put hops in your primary fermentation. Not while the initial active ferment is going on anyway.
Wait until the active fermentation is done, then add your dry hops, or rack the beer to a secondary fermenter and add dry hops.
Cheers

It looks to me like all my hops are either on the sides of my carboy or in the blow off tube
Assuming the blow-off tube was sterilized before use, you can rinse it into a sterilized mesh screen or a sterile muslin bag to re-collect the hops. Toss them back in (being very careful not to infect the beer!!) and knock down the hops stuck to the walls once fermentation has calmed down. You will probably have lost a little aromatic quality, but not enough to really get upset over. The alcohol in the beer is primarily what draws out the aromatics in the first place.

Good luck! :mug:

If you dry hopped during the active part of fermentation you already blew off much of your flavor. If you didn't dry hop, then you are probably just seeing proteins and yeast crud on the sides and in the blow off tube which is normal.

Dry hop after primary fermentation is done ande you'll get hop aromas. I strain my beers before going into the primary and have had good results of not too much active fermentation. The more stuff that's in your primary the more nucleation points for CO2.

Hi please help

My Ipa had 2 days of a very crazy fermentation. It looks to me like all my hops are either on the sides of my carboy or in the blow off tube that i put on after it blew the airlock of many times. What do I do? What can I do?
I love hops and worried i have lost all the flavor.:confused::mad:

Did it look anything like this....

IMG_1937.jpg
IMG_0750.jpg

Lol, did your beer come to you in the middle of the night saying "Daddy, I had an accident?"

I'm surprised you didn't blow the lid off that thing.

Thanks every one, and yes my beer just yelled at me from the other room and said mommy i had an acccident a couple of times. I started with a airlock and when it kept blowing that off I came here and learned about a blow off tube that worked great. I added the hops during the boil and plan on dry hopping so I think thing are looking up for my little brew.:D

Back