Flavoured Syrups (Monin) etc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TequilaMockingbird

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone had experimented with flavoured syrups in any oftheir brews such as Monin syrups etc.

I've just completed one experiment with the Hazelnut syrup and primed a few of my bottles with this instead of spray malt. The beer was a Belgian style wit which I had also matured with some medium toast French oak chips.

The result was a fair amount of hazelnut in the aroma, but only a very mild trace in the taste, but enough to give it an intertesting edge. With over 100 different flavours in the Monin range my imagination is now rnning wild.

Just wondered if anyone else had tried this and if so found anything problematic about it going forward?

:mug:

I've never used Monin, but I have used fruit syrups. They have a ton of sugar, so you have to account for that in the recipe. Avoid syrups with preservatives.

I just picked up a 0.8 liter of concentrated cherry/cranberry juice syrup like used in juice dispensers for restaurants. It's to be mixed 1:10 with water. It does note some preservatives. I have a Berliner Weiss which is bone dry and ready. When my next keg is freed up, I plan to test doses in a glass, then mix these in the keg, chill, and serve. I figure the cold temps will keep the sugars from restarting fermentation and the sweetness won't hurt for the tastes of SWMBO and friends, especially with such sour fruit getting added to a sour beer. I think this application of the syrup will work out ok.

So, have you tried it?

I have an "imperial chocolate oatmeal stout" batch ready to bottle, and if I used 200 ml of monin cherry sirup it would be enough to carb it.

Not sure if I should do it...

What's your experience?

I just put the keg in the fridge today. I want to taste it as is first. I'll bottle some midweek, then next weekend I'll decide to add syrup or not.

Just tried another one, several weeks after bottling, and could detect no trace in the flavour, and very little in the aroma. My guess is that if you prime with these syrups, then the beer will be best drank young.

My advice from years in coffee is to either stick with monin as they are probably the best, or to make your own infusion with vodka and add it. You might need to look into fat washing to make this really work. There was one syrup company about 6 years ago that used true extracts and flavors and was incredible here in OR, but I can't find him any longer. I wouldn't touch Tourani unless you want a chemical flavor coming through. Granted my opinion is based on a hardcore edge, but with some experiences while working in startup artisan cafes in the OR.

Just following up on my posts. I didn't bother adding the syrup based on the current flavor profile. I'm not particularly happy with it, and I don't think the cherry/cran flavor would enhance it. So the bottle of syrup sits unopened in the cabinet for another day.

Back