Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you say bubbling away, you don't mean that you have an airlock on your starter, do you?

In either case, this yeast was the fastest I've had, took off in under 3hrs (i didnt check on it until 3hrs later after pitchign, so who knows how much sooner)

image-1931833557.jpg

Yeah starter in a 1/2 gallon growler :) I don't have a stir plate yet, but this always works fine for me. I swirl it every few hours.

When growing yeast, you should not use an airlock. They need an oxygen exchange and once they use up whats in there, it will slow growth. This is why many who make starters use a sanitized piece of foil, loosely draped over the mouth of the jug/flask. just FYI FWIW

Anyway, I am getting ready to bottle mine soon. I am pretty excited to see how it tastes!

NuclearRich said:
When growing yeast, you should not use an airlock. They need an oxygen exchange and once they use up whats in there, it will slow growth. This is why many who make starters use a sanitized piece of foil, loosely draped over the mouth of the jug/flask. just FYI FWIW

Anyway, I am getting ready to bottle mine soon. I am pretty excited to see how it tastes!

Thanks for the info:) ive always hit my FG making starters this way but the oxygen exchange makes sense. Cheers

AGadvocate said:
I'm mashed in at 149 right now. Close enough for me ;-P

Yup, probably going to be a bad batch then.... what with missing your temp be a degree :D

Your best option at this point is to see it through, then just send me the beer so I can dispose of it honorably.

Brewed this up yesterday... stayed true to the recipe with the exception of subbing EKG for Fuggels and added a little lemon zest with the black pepper addition. The wort smelled great... can't wait to get this into a glass! Oh, and that 3711 is a beast. I forgot to do my starter Friday, and didn't remember until Saturday night... only had about 12-14 hours on the stir plate, but I figured what the hell and pitched it anyway. Crazy activity within 4 hours of pitching, and I had to top off the liquid in the airlock 8 hours after.

Thanks for posting the recipe! :mug:

After kegging this last Monday, I finally got to taste this beer at full carbonation on Saturday. All I can say is this is quite possibly the best Summer beer I could've chosen to brew, especially in the Texas heat!

I bottled about 18 beers and left the rest on tap for the guys who helped me brew this. Sadly the remaining beer didn't even last four hours, but that should speak volumes of how much this beer is being enjoyed. I stored a six-pack to see how well this beer clears out over the next few months, so I'll try and remember to post another photo when that happens.

Thanks again for posting this recipe - cheers! :mug:

photo (2).jpg

Looks like a great beer. I love the french saison yeast - I've made dark and light saisons - cold and hot fermentation and they all turned out spectacular

Just pulled a sample of this beer it's been fermenting for 2 weeks and still going slowly. Og was 1068 today the gravity was 1004 and tasted great in going to rack to secondary and possibly filter as I think the beer is strong and dry enough. May possibly enter into comp next week if I can get it carbed right

forcabrew said:
Just pulled a sample of this beer it's been fermenting for 2 weeks and still going slowly. Og was 1068 today the gravity was 1004 and tasted great in going to rack to secondary and possibly filter as I think the beer is strong and dry enough. May possibly enter into comp next week if I can get it carbed right

What carb level are you thinkin?

I'm going to try any carb it to 2.5. It's between this an a Citra IPA that I made. Which ever I feel is at is best taste and carb wise I will enter

forcabrew said:
I'm going to try any carb it to 2.5. It's between this an a Citra IPA that I made. Which ever I feel is at is best taste and carb wise I will enter

Just finished kegging my cottage 5 mins ago. Im doing 2.5 as well. My gravity sample smelled and tasted great. Can't wait til it's carbed.

I was goin to brew a citra IIPA 2 weeks ago but couldn't find any citra at LHBS's in my area. Did a Sorachi IIPA instead.

OG was 1.065, took a gravity reading exactly 1 week from pitching yeast and it reads 1.003 lol. Wyeast 3711 is a beast. The sample tasted great for being 8% abv

image-21067905.jpg

AGadvocate said:
OG was 1.065, took a gravity reading exactly 1 week from pitching yeast and it reads 1.003 lol. Wyeast 3711 is a beast. The sample tasted great for being 8% abv

This was my thoughts when I first brewed this using the 3711, it could ferment out an old gym sock!

azscoob said:
This was my thoughts when I first brewed this using the 3711, it could ferment out an old gym sock!

Do you think 1.003 is to dry? Any suggestions when I put it into secondary? Maybe I shouldnt have did a starter, lol

AGadvocate said:
Do you think 1.003 is to dry? Any suggestions when I put it into secondary? Maybe I shouldnt have did a starter, lol

No, not at all, mine usually drops to 1.002 for this recipe, perfect for a saison!

This yeast is taking a while to clear probably won't be ready for my comp. but I will carb it closer to 3

forcabrew said:
This yeast is taking a while to clear probably won't be ready for my comp. but I will carb it closer to 3

This is from the BJCP guide for saison.

Appearance: Often a distinctive pale orange but may be golden or amber in color. There is no correlation between strength and color. Long-lasting, dense, rocky white to ivory head resulting in characteristic “Belgian lace” on the glass as it fades. Clarity is poor to good though haze is not unexpected in this type of unfiltered farmhouse beer. Effervescent.

Ingredients have been purchased for a Saturday morning brew day of this recipe. I'm not a huge fan of Fuggles for some reason so I substituted EKG, like some others. Thanks for the recipe. I'll update with pictures during the brew...

2 weeks in the fermentor and it looks like I stalled at .011. Moved of to an 80 degree room for the second phase and gave it a stir. Looks like some activity so I hope it knocks down a few points.

MMachi said:
Ingredients have been purchased for a Saturday morning brew day of this recipe. I'm not a huge fan of Fuggles for some reason so I substituted EKG, like some others. Thanks for the recipe. I'll update with pictures during the brew...

Pitched about 10 hours ago and it's bubbling away. Hit nearly 84% efficiency and underestimated the honey impact to gravity so I was a tad high on the OG at 1.067, but I can already call it a success. The first wirt hop smelled AMAZING and now I just need to find out a way to be patient for 6-7 weeks! Thanks for the recipe. Pictures to come...

MMachi said:
Pitched about 10 hours ago and it's bubbling away. Hit nearly 84% efficiency and underestimated the honey impact to gravity so I was a tad high on the OG at 1.067, but I can already call it a success. The first wirt hop smelled AMAZING and now I just need to find out a way to be patient for 6-7 weeks! Thanks for the recipe. Pictures to come...

I look forward to the pics!

I'm a little behind in my home brew duties for my wedding on 9/29. Any opinions on if I got a brewing session in this week with this recipe, that it could be ready by that date?? Something like two weeks in primary, two in secondary, and the rest (around 2.5 weeks) of the time conditioned in bottles? Also will be scaling it up to do a double or triple batch with my brewing buddies. I hate to rush it, but reading through this, it seems like folks have had decent luck with the shorter fermentation/conditioning times. We'll use it for toasts during the reception if it turns out! :)

Thanks,
Vin

Three weeks in the primary. Gravity was 1.006 one week ago - it's 1.004 today.

Any downside to bottling today? I'm running out of my Pale Ale so my patience is running thin. I'm also worried about off-flavors from leaving the beer in the primary for more than three weeks. I'd rather not secondary it if possible.

My opinion? It's doable but you getter get brewing. Like I just posted, my wort is still dropping in gravity three weeks in the fermenter. It's definitely one of the longer-acting yeasts that I've worked with. Based on my experience, I'd devote no less than three weeks in the fermenters. Two weeks minimum in the bottles...the more, the better.

Honestly, I'd consider brewing a nice Hefe instead. Hefe's taste better fresh/green and are fast fermenters. You could have them in bottles by the end of the month and bottle condition for three weeks. It would be at its peak in late September.

I'm a little behind in my home brew duties for my wedding on 9/29. Any opinions on if I got a brewing session in this week with this recipe, that it could be ready by that date?? Something like two weeks in primary, two in secondary, and the rest (around 2.5 weeks) of the time conditioned in bottles? Also will be scaling it up to do a double or triple batch with my brewing buddies. I hate to rush it, but reading through this, it seems like folks have had decent luck with the shorter fermentation/conditioning times. We'll use it for toasts during the reception if it turns out! :)

Thanks,
Vin

ucbedge said:
Three weeks in the primary. Gravity was 1.006 one week ago - it's 1.004 today.

Any downside to bottling today? I'm running out of my Pale Ale so my patience is running thin. I'm also worried about off-flavors from leaving the beer in the primary for more than three weeks. I'd rather not secondary it if possible.

I would hold off for stable gravity before bottling, as for off flavors from a long primary I have left many beers for several months with no ill effects.

I have my starter on the stirplate now, planning to make this on Saturday. I would like to try and get some green apple flavors in this Saison, anyone have experience with doing so?

My opinion? It's doable but you getter get brewing. Like I just posted, my wort is still dropping in gravity three weeks in the fermenter. It's definitely one of the longer-acting yeasts that I've worked with. Based on my experience, I'd devote no less than three weeks in the fermenters. Two weeks minimum in the bottles...the more, the better.

Honestly, I'd consider brewing a nice Hefe instead. Hefe's taste better fresh/green and are fast fermenters. You could have them in bottles by the end of the month and bottle condition for three weeks. It would be at its peak in late September.

... I probably should have done that, but a Saison will be so cool for a toasting beer!

So it was a bit of a scramble, but we got this in around midnight yesterday. The shop only had one 3711 (french) left, so we are trying one batch with that and the second batch with a 3274 (Belgian).

The OG was a slightly low, and this morning both were fermenting, although maybe a little warm (~72 deg F in fermenter).

I am still relatively new to doing AG, so hopefully there's some room for error in this one! Our friends/family will appreciate that we made it ourselves, even if it isn't perfect...

Funny, I'm doing this for a wedding too. Monday is 4 weeks in the bucket. I did a gravity and taste test @ 2 weeks and it was really good. Still needed to drop the gravity a few points though. Moved it upstairs to an 80 degree room and still getting a few bubbles in the airlock. Shooting for kegging on Sunday. I might bottle condition 2 of them and tell them its for their 1 year anniversary.

Our beer club just met yesterday & we had an all bling judge with 20+ years experience. Our brew of the month is Saison. He gave a 30 minute lecture about the beer, history, country, nature of Saison. We tasted 4 commercial brews & 2 home-brews.

This has everything he talked about. He did warn me about the complexity of brewing a Saison i.e. steer away from Saison as a newbie. Now this seems deceptively easy, what do I need to pay specific attention to?

I'm thinking........................ next week!

Slyko said:
Our beer club just met yesterday & we had an all bling judge with 20+ years experience. Our brew of the month is Saison. He gave a 30 minute lecture about the beer, history, country, nature of Saison. We tasted 4 commercial brews & 2 home-brews.

This has everything he talked about. He did warn me about the complexity of brewing a Saison i.e. steer away from Saison as a newbie. Now this seems deceptively easy, what do I need to pay specific attention to?

I'm thinking........................ next week!

This is actually a simple recipe as far as saisons go, and with the 3711 yeast there in no silly complex fermentation temp schedule, brew it next week as written then start modifying it on successive batches to make it unique to your brewery.

Brewed this Sunday with a friend.

This is my first beer, as i just purchased my AG kit from another buddy.

We did 10 gallons. 5gal with 3711 and 5 gal with 3711 French saison and 3724 Belgian saison blended.

We didnt hit our og that we wanted because we didnt add the honey and i dont think i milled my grains enough (n00b). OG was 1.04x are we going to encounter problems?

Also we switched up the hop schedule because im obsessed with Citra so this is what we did.

0.50 oz. Citra, 13.40%aa @60 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle, 4.75%aa @60 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle, 4.75%aa @30 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle, 4.75%aa @15 min.
0.50 oz. Citra, 13.40%aa @15 min
0.75 oz. Citra, 13.40%aa @5 min with the black pepper addition

we pitched the yeast at 82 degrees, its down to 72-73 for the past 3 days. Thinking about moving the carboys into another room to raise it up above 75 degrees. Thoughts on that?

i guess this is gonna come in pretty low abv and pretty hoppy, im ok with that, any thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated and thanks for posting up the recipe!

knownfactor said:
Brewed this Sunday with a friend.

This is my first beer, as i just purchased my AG kit from another buddy.

We did 10 gallons. 5gal with 3711 and 5 gal with 3711 French saison and 3724 Belgian saison blended.

We didnt hit our og that we wanted because we didnt add the honey and i dont think i milled my grains enough (n00b). OG was 1.04x are we going to encounter problems?

Also we switched up the hop schedule because im obsessed with Citra so this is what we did.

0.50 oz. Citra, 13.40%aa @60 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle, 4.75%aa @60 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle, 4.75%aa @30 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle, 4.75%aa @15 min.
0.50 oz. Citra, 13.40%aa @15 min
0.75 oz. Citra, 13.40%aa @5 min with the black pepper addition

we pitched the yeast at 82 degrees, its down to 72-73 for the past 3 days. Thinking about moving the carboys into another room to raise it up above 75 degrees. Thoughts on that?

i guess this is gonna come in pretty low abv and pretty hoppy, im ok with that, any thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated and thanks for posting up the recipe!

Add the honey now, that should bring it closer to balanced, you should be good to go otherwise.

[ame]http://youtu.be/u8_NmqMXuV0[/ame]

shot a youtube vid of me trying this Cottage Saison that I brewed.

Props to azscoob on this one!!

Back