Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good eye! a friend gave me some empty wine bottles and that was in with them, it was for a single malt scotch. I thought it would look great with a mead in it so I removed all the labels. It is 700ml and a really heavy glass
I plan on making a strawberry rhubarb mead in the fall that I bet will look great in that bottle

made with orange blossom honey and nottingham ale yeast. SG = 1.085.

primary fermentation slower than expected, just made it to 1.015 today after about 31 days. Very little activity left, racked it to secondary so I can start a second batch.

Flavor is a little odd, suspect slight contamination. Fermentation didn't start for almost 3 days.

photo (1).jpg

Lemon_Berry_Mead.jpg

This was my first attempt...was supposed to be a "Strawberry Lemon" mead that came out just "Lemon". Dumped a couple pounds of berries into the mead and let it sit for a while to produce this. MUCH closer to what I was looking for.

gutz said:
Flavor is a little odd, suspect slight contamination. Fermentation didn't start for almost 3 days.

Do you smell or detect rotten eggs? When yeast is stressed it releases H2S. It can be removed, but is a bit of a process.

Here is my Strappleberry mead. (strawberry apple). With the red strawberries and the yellow apple juice I extracted and the honey it turned out a brilliant orange color. It's always fun seeing the different colors that emerge with fruit.

image-527783779.jpg

My fruit punch fifth attempt at mead but i really got good reviews from friends!

ForumRunner_20120708_205909.jpg

I'll tell you want I told my father; take a dandelion wine recipe - and use honey. That was his first mead, turned out great. But if you really want the specific, I'll ask him for the details.

Nah that's good enough, I've made quite a few meads I think I can figure it out from there. Thanks! :)

Raspberry orange mead, and yea I'm drinking out of a jar... Swmbo thinks me classy ;-)

image-3785904097.jpg

My first attempt at a mead. Very basic traditional sweet mead. However, I used an Ale yeast so it is quite sweet. I force carbonated some of it to make a sparkling mead and it is quite nice -- the carbonation cuts the sweetness a bit.

Plan to try a Mango Melomel next...this time with a more appropriate yeast so it is not so sweet.

Sweet Mead SDC11865.jpg

Created a "Braggot" today by blending the Sweet Mead and IPA I have conditioning. Damn, it is quite good! Braggot -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!

Braggot SDC11867.jpg

Curtis2010 said:
Created a "Braggot" today by blending the Sweet Mead and IPA I have conditioning. Damn, it is quite good! Braggot -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!

Very nice, have not yet brewed one. Is it usually blended or is there a more traditional way? I just tried a half gal batch of apple carrot cyser.

ForumRunner_20120719_114659.jpg

Very nice, have not yet brewed one. Is it usually blended or is there a more traditional way? I just tried a half gal batch of apple carrot cyser.

I blended mine today just to give the flavors a try, but traditionally it is a combination of beer & mead ingredients which are fermented together (essentially a mix of wort & must). Took 1 liter to an afternoon gathering and came back with it empty so others liked it too.

I like the idea of keeping a basic mead around and blending with other interesting things as they become available (like seasonal fruit). And apparently this is not entirely without traditional precedent.

Brewed a small test batch of cider last year from local apples and a cyser is definitely on my list to try as well.

felix1987 said:
Any chance I could get the strawberry rhubarb recipe off you?

sure, in this forum if you go down about 20 topics below this one there is a thread called" strawberry rhubarb need recipe input" it has a diary of me making this batch. I have only made it 1 time so far and have not finished aging yet. I think it's gonna turn out pretty good though judging by the way it tastes right now. I am still adjusting the recipe so if you try it I would be interested in feedback and how it turned out as well as any adjustments you made
I would send you a link to that page but I haven't figured out how to do that on my phone yet

I uploaded some pics into the gallery here, now to see if I can get them to show here.

First should be: left to right: beer, very first mead, then 4 bottles of 2nd mead (raspberry, vanilla, raspberry, traditional)
keymead_2659-55772.jpg

My first mead in bottles (same as in the pic above)
keymead_3687-55773.jpg

My 3rd mead - Black Cherry. Just racked off of the fruit.
keymead_3692-55774.jpg

image-1144089903.jpg

4 lbs of honey
1/2 gallon of water
1/4 gallon of cranberry juice
1lb ish of chopped raisins
t of nutrient
Packet of yeast

My winter mead - a bochet with apples, saffron and cinnamon. It's aging nicely and it's becoming rather tasty. Should be very enjoyable this coming winter. :)

Winter mead small.jpg

A multi berry melomel that's just refusing to clear. I've given up waiting because I needed the stuff for making more mead. :)

Merry berry small.jpg

gilliam said:
A multi berry melomel that's just refusing to clear. I've given up waiting because I needed the stuff for making more mead. :)

Have you tried clarifying with sparkalloid?

Being the new guy, I think it's only fitting that I contribute.

This is my signature mead. Heather honey with meadowsweet, bog myrtle and a few other herbs.

DSC03987.jpg

My buddy is eager to try some mead. I sent him this pic to show that it cleared nicely. It is a JAOM with only 50% of the pith added and Lavin 71B rather than bread yeast.

image-3215655847.jpg

Back