Digital Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got two of them. It works great but I went through about 5 probes before I realized that liquid was seeping down into the metal part of the probe and damaging it. I finally started putting some shrink tubing around the probe where the wire is crimped into the metal part.

If you end up needing more probes there's an e-mail address you can contact on the Oneida site and they will replace the damaged probes.

Also, don't drop it in your wort. Tends to make the buttons sticky and one of mine will only read in Celcius now. :D

+1 for the shrink wrap, go to the flea markets and get those 1.00 pack I have mine going 12" up and its still going great I went thru 2 before I finally did that

that's a good idea about shrink wrap. I actually tie wrapped a small fishing float to the probe so that the place where the wire and probe meets stays above the water. seems to work pretty good.

jasonclick said:
that's a good idea about shrink wrap. I actually tie wrapped a small fishing float to the probe so that the place where the wire and probe meets stays above the water. seems to work pretty good.

Tell me you have a picture of this?!?

jasonclick said:
no i don't. it was one of those things I thought of and did in a 5 minute period. I didn't think it was worth a picture!

Too bad. I love hearing about and seeing how inventive people can be with things like this. Did you feel like McGyver?

It amazes me that they make these things with a six inch probe and the cable can't get wet. I also ruined two before I figured it out. Additional props on the shrink tubing idea. It's hard to put that probe in a mash tun or kettle and never get that wire wet with such a small margin of error.

Back