2011 HBT BJCP Competition Winners' Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only been all grain brewing about 4 months. I was recently given 3lbs of Hallertau hops. I am not setup to do lagers. Someone suggested to find a good German lager recipe using these hops but instead use a different kind of yeast like American ale. Well I found a good recipe. But my question will this work or am I wasting time and money? I have read a lot of your post's and you are very knowledgeable and respected on this forum. By the way I have your house pale ale bottling condition right now. Thanks for any input. JJ

Jimmyjoe said:
I have only been all grain brewing about 4 months. I was recently given 3lbs of Hallertau hops. I am not setup to do lagers. Someone suggested to find a good German lager recipe using these hops but instead use a different kind of yeast like American ale. Well I found a good recipe. But my question will this work or am I wasting time and money? I have read a lot of your post's and you are very knowledgeable and respected on this forum. By the way I have your house pale ale bottling condition right now. Thanks for any input. JJ

What sort of temp control do you have? I ask because I find that notty has an almost lager like clean flavor when fermented at 59-60°

With that in mind you could brew something like my biertent lager, (I haven't been using the melanoiden malt because it seemed to add a hint of sweetness to the finish I didn't care for.)

Ferment with notty at the cool temps, and see what you think.

Kolsch yeast at same lower temps, I find it way better than notty anyday. I just find something about the notty fermented beers I've done, no matter what, have a grainy, bad-homebrew-my-buddy-made-in-his-kitchen flavor. But as always I suppose ymmv

Soooo are there any new award winning recipes out there? This thread has been dead for over a year with the last recipe being posted even further back.

What system is everyone running? Could be an issue with one particular OS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

What system is everyone running? Could be an issue with one particular OS.

I used to have my preferences on hbt set to 50 posts per page, instead of 10. Links to specific pages on threads were always wrong so I reset it to 10

Clicking links directly via the apple ios app (iPod touch 5, ios 5) goes to the random 2005 thread. Copy /
pasting the link txt to my browser (via the same device) brings me to the recipe...

Really cool recepies, though as a newbie I really have no idea how to make something like this

I could walk you through the process if you really wanted to give it a whirl, in fact I detailed a couple tips in my reapers mild recipe thread to help a new brewer get a handle on the water addition calculations. It's in he last few posts there I think.

I was thinking about emailing rogue brewing about their voodoo bacon maple doughnut beer for some help on both the maple and bacon aspects because they were so strong, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Latest posts

Back