Fermenter use advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piratwolf

Reaction score
Have an RIS brewed on 12/28, a BDS brewed on 1/6, both of which I want to age for a long time, and also an IPA brewed 1/14.

I have the following fermenters: 6.5gal glass, 6gal BB, 5 gal glass, and 3gal glass. I also have 2 (soon to be 4) empty corny kegs.

6,5 has an IPA, BB has the BDS, 5gal has the RIS. I need to brew pretty much every weekend this month (mostly 3gal batches) to get my beers prepped for a competition.

Should I...

1. Buy two plastic fermenter buckets so I can keep brewing?
2. Bottle the RIS to free up the 5gal glass fermenter & transfer the BDS to that?
3. Some other combination?

Any suggestions welcome!

No you shouldn't buy 2 fermenter buckets and here's why.

Because you will quickly learn that you needed to buy 4. :mug:

Don't rush your RIS or your BDS. Your IPA still needs time in the fermenter too.

No you shouldn't buy 2 fermenter buckets and here's why.

Because you will quickly learn that you needed to buy 4. :mug:

Don't rush your RIS or your BDS. Your IPA still needs time in the fermenter too.

+1 Right on the money!

If you're looking at more buckets for 3-gallon batches, standard 5-gallon pails can be found for 1/3 the price of the 6.5-gallon "ale pails". They might be limited to smaller uses for standard 5+ gallon batches, they are perfect for cheap 2-4 gallon fermenters! Just invest in a handful of grommets and extra airlocks....of if your budget is really tight, you can run 3/8"ID blowoff tubes for cheap airlocks...

Thanks for these suggestions! I was thinking that I should buy buckets, but guess I wanted to hear it from others. Plus, you must be somewhat psychic--I was just telling SWMBO I think I'm gonna start doing 2.5-3gal batches b/c I have about six cases bottled already and 15gal fermenting. I don't drink enough to justify adding 5gal at a time, plus smaller batches = more variety for less money. Nice!

I only brew 2.75 gallon batches. This gives me a case plus a few. I like to experiment with different beers (build recipies using Beersmith) and 5 gallons is a lot of beer to drink if I don't like it.

I also brew 3gal batches. I use 3gal Better Bottles. I have six of them. It is pretty easy to scale recipes in Beer Smith. I just can't drink all of 5gal, and I can't afford to just give it all away.

I also brew 3gal batches. I use 3gal Better Bottles. I have six of them. It is pretty easy to scale recipes in Beer Smith. I just can't drink all of 5gal, and I can't afford to just give it all away.
How do you like the 3 gal Better Bottles? Contemplating doing some 2.5 gallon batches. Does the 3 gal BB take the same stopper as the 5/6 gallon sizes?

How do you like the 3 gal Better Bottles? Contemplating doing some 2.5 gallon batches. Does the 3 gal BB take the same stopper as the 5/6 gallon sizes?

The 3g Better Bottle takes the same stopper as the larger Better Bottles, but not the same as the glass carboys. Better Bottles has a stopper system to add a blow-off tube and other features, but I don't use them. They look complicated and expensive. I just use a regular stopper. I add a smaller diameter blow-off tube when I need to. I have not figured out a way to use a big-diameter blow-off tube yet, but it hasn't seemed a problem yet.
I set my recipe to brew 3 gallons, but I don't fill the fermenter to the full 3 gallons. With 3 gallon batches the difference in cost is negligible, so why not brew a little extra in case of loss somewhere?
I leave a little room for krausen, but lately it seems I need a blow-off tube whenever I brew. I have made a simple system to make it easy to attach the tubes.
Why I brew 3 gallons: I don't need so many bottles of beer taking up space; bottling 24 bottles is a breeze (sanitize in the dishwasher); and carrying 3 gallons is a lot easier than 5 gallons.
Good luck!

Back