Do you use your Homebrew in cooking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walking_Target

Reaction score
Just what the title says.

Today i'm doing a french style onion and sausage soup and the base of browned onions and sausage will be simmered in a couple cups of my dark brown ale.

Anybody else cook with homebrew wine, beer or mead?

My lady threw some of my pale ale in her crock pot when she made a roast. It came out great, both in and out.

Wicked gas. Not sure if it was the homebrew, but since it usually is I'm blaming it.

I do! I put whatever easy drinker I have on tap into my pineapple chili and my wife likes to use it in her black beans.

My oatmeal stout is a critical ingredient in my Fire-in-the-hole Chili!

I used apple cider vinegar (homemade) in an apple/pork dish last night.

Tonight is going to be venison tenderloin braised in my American brown ale with onions and mushrooms!

I had a batch of Dunkelweizen that was pure crap to drink.....but I filled growlers up and gave it to friends for cooking. We all had some killer beef and pork roasts the next few weeks with it.

OK, how about some recipes... I'll start

Here's an easy one that makes killer braised roast, I use ipa or stout usually but any brew works good in it...

3-4 large onions
3-4 cups home brew
1 tsp dried thyme (or 1 tbsp fresh)
1 tsp dried rosemary (or 1 tbsp fresh)
1 beef bullion cube (since we're subbin' beer for broth)
1 large shoulder or chuck roast (any beef roast will work)

Pat roast dry with paper towels and salt/pepper liberally
In a hot pan sear the roast on all sides and set it aside when done
In a large dutch oven or cast iron skillet cook onions until softened
Add rosemary, bullion cube and thyme and stir to combine
Add roast back to pan with drippings, add brew and bring to a boil
Cover and cook at 350 in oven for 3-4 hours until beef is fork tender

I usually strain the sauce thats left in the pan and make a thin gravy, then serve the beef over egg noodles with the gravy like goulash, superb!

Now if we can just get Yooper to come off of that chili recipe we'll have it made!

:mug:

I found that I like using my English Bitter as a base for a mop sauce/marinade for my pit bbq. It's also good in stews or as a base for roasts with veggies. German style FTW!

My chocolate mole porter is an integral ingredient (amongst 30 other ingredients) in my firebrick chilli.

Revvy said:
This is the recipe for the Chili Cook off in my department. I beat out 4 other fantastic chilis with it. It is a complex recipe. I used my own Chocolate Mole Porter.

(All measurements are approximate)

1 pound each of Lamb, pork and stewing beef, cut into small cubes. (or 3 pounds of any one meat or any other combination. Venison, buffalo or any other game could work as well.

About 10 ounces of ground mexican chorizo. Meijer stores carry "El Popular" Brand. It looks like sausages in casings, but it is actually ground packed into plastic "casings" just cut it open, and squeeze. Mexican chorizo is different from Spanish Variety which is actually a harder sausage.

3 tbs cooking oil

Coarse salt

3 tablespoons Sofrito (Goya brand) Sofrito is the cooking base used in most Hispanic/Mexican/Latin American cooking. What sofrito does is add freshness, herbal notes and zing to dishes. It is a combination of onion, garlic, bell pepper, cilantro and tomato cooked down for a long time, then run through a food processor, blended with olive oil, and stored in jars til needed. Goya brand is available and many grocery stores, and is in the Ethnic Grocery aisle at Meijer.

1 1/2 tbs chili powder (I used homemade, mine is a blend of dried chipotle, Ancho, Pasillo, cascabel, arbol chiles, and whole cumin seeds dry roasted and then ground in a spice mill or food processor.)

2 tsp ground cumin, 1 tbs oregano, 1tsp paprika & 1 tsp garlic powder (added to chili powder.)

18 ounces of beer, (1 1/2 bottles) I used my chocolate mole porter, but any ale would do. (A chocolate porter or stout or chili pepper beer would be preferable. Rogue Brewery has 3 that would each work perfectly, and are readily available and better beer stores- Chocolate Stout, Chipotle Ale, and Double Chocolate Porter. Even more easily available at nearly every store is Young's Double Chocolate stout, which comes in Nitrogen cans. )

2-4 cups of stock, I boiled lamb bones in my homemade chicken stock, removed fat and strained it. (any stock or bouillon would do...beef, veal, chicken, veggie.)

1 chipotle pepper with about 2 tbs of adobe sauce, mushed fine (use more if you want the chili hotter)

2-3 tbs tomato paste.

1 can Hunt's Fire Roasted Diced tomatoes.

1 jar mild (or whatever heat) salsa (this takes place of extra garlic onions and spices.)

Approx 1 round of Abuelita Mexican hot chocolate cut into wedges.

1 bay leaf.

Several handfuls of crushed tortilla chips (This becomes a thickene, instead of masa harina)

(optional) 1-2 cans of kidney beans or others, drained and rinsed of syrup.

Extra ground cumin, chili powder, salt, or oregano to taste.

1) Cube the beef, lamb and pork into even sized pieces. In a bowl toss with 3 tbs oil and about 2 tsp coarse salt.

2) In a cast iron dutch oven or other pot brown meat in batches over medium-high heat, when each batch is brown transfer it to bowl. Do this to avoid over crowding the meat.

3) When last of meat is browned add chorizo to pan and fry til browned, remove and carefully lift pan and attempt to drain any excess fat without disturbing the brown crust that has formed on the bottom of the pan.

4) Return pan to heat and deglaze with stock and 1 bottle of beer. Scrape bottom of ban to dissolve all the brown bits back into the liquid. Let it return to boil.

5) Stir in Sofrito, and remainder of ingredients up to, but not including the tortilla chips. Allow to return to boil.

6) Crush 2-3 handfuls of tortilla chips and stir in.

7) Add meat to pot and return to boil.

When combined, everything will appear thick, so dilute with remaining beer, and/or water or stock- since you will be slow cooking this you don't want it to be too thick to begin with, you want it really wet and it will reduce down, becoming more flavorful as everything condenses and the meat breaks down.

Allow to boil for 10-15 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer.

For this contest I simmered for an hour, then transferred it to a slow cooker on low, over night. You could put oven on low to medium, and stick dutch oven in there for 4-6 hours on low.

If you like beans with your chili (some don't) add it within the last hour or two of the cooking time.

21867_324607779066_620469066_3571012_7803673_n.jpg

The finished product, brick red full of flavor.

What I did for pork & beef was 1 bottle of English Bitter,about 1TBSP of Worcestershire sauce,2tsp each onion & garlic powder,.5tsp cayenne pepper,with salt & fresh cracked black pepper to taste.
Maybe some oregano & sage for pork,basil for beef.
Put it in an airtight container in the fridge for a few hours,or better yet overnight. Then just mop the meat with it in the pit with charcoal & your favorite wood on that.

I made a gravy for a BBQ beef brisket out of an oatmeal stout. It was very good. I think I found the gravy recipe online somewhere, didn't save.

I cook my brats on my grill in a tin pan of beer (& onions, peppers, and apple slices).

That reminds me. I also used one of my pale ales in corn bread & hush puppies. Maybe try an IPA next time. Pretty good stuff!

Used some of my first ever brew (grand cru) to provide moisture in my bullet smoker. Stuff was barely drinkable because i almost boiled the grains for about 30 mins. Super hot taste! Anyways my pork ribs were more forgiving of the taste than i was!

What, no other vegans here?! ;)

My pineapple chili, cruelty free:

2 cans black beans
2 cans kindey beans
1 can corn
1 can pineapple with juice
4 cloves garlic, minced
half an onion, chopped
1 cup beer
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp oregano, basil, chili powder, paprika

The slower you cook it, the better. Also, if I remember my non-vegan days correctly, I bet this would be amazing covered in cheese and sour cream, hehe

OK, it wasn't my beer, but as part of my quest to empty 50 beer bottles so that I could get my first brew bottled, I did a nice oxtail stew- carbonnade flamande hybrid this weekend.

Let 2.5# oxtail marinade in 40 oz. Belgian-style beer with onions, carrots, cloves, bay leaves, parsley, thyme, and pepper for up to five days. Brown some salt pork, then the oxtails, then add the marinade, some brown sugar, and some vinegar, and cook until the meat is falling off the bone. Refrigerate overnight. Remove the top layer of fat (sounds non-manly, but I ended up removing enough fat to fill a jam jar and the stew was still fantastic), re-heat with some fresh carrots, and serve over egg noodles or steamed potatoes.

My oatmeal stout is a critical ingredient in my Fire-in-the-hole Chili!

I used apple cider vinegar (homemade) in an apple/pork dish last night.

Tonight is going to be venison tenderloin braised in my American brown ale with onions and mushrooms!

I totally lied about my venison tonight.

I used some homemade tannot/merlot, about 4 years old. I used 1 cup, and we'll drink the rest with our celebratory dinner (first buck of the bow season for us).

Anyway, here's the recipe:

1 venison tenderloin, sliced into medallions

1 cup tannot/merlot blend (any dark, heavy bodied red will do)
a splash of homemade cider vinegar
a big splash of worchestershire sauce
2 big crushed garlic cloves
1 small onion, very thinly sliced
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

Marinade in above ingredients. Remove from marinade and saute with the onions in butter until medium rare, about 3 minutes! Remove and deglaze pan with some of the marinade. While deglazing, add 1 teaspoon corn starch to remaining marinade, stir well and add to pain. Stir until thickened. Add a 4 ounce can of mushrooms, and then place tenderloin medallions back into sauce, just until all is heated through. Garnish with parsley from the garden.

If you eat wheat, this would be wonderful with thick egg noodles!

Dang,makes me wish I had a good place closer than a few hours away to get a deer without being surrounded by half lit citybillies. I use a 50cal Hawken rifle with 200 grain saboted jacketed hollow points. At 90 to 100 grains of FFFG powder,it equals the muzzle velocity of a 30.06. I haven't been able to pit bbq venison in years. But now that I've gotten better at it,some of my ale would make a good mop for it.

headbanger said:
Not trying to knock the whole vegan thing and the recipe looks promising but...

Isn't that salsa? :confused:

No. Its chili. Unless meat is somehow a required ingredient for chili, that is!

Ah, the one true chili debate. Up there with abortion, gay marriage, and "the one true barbecue" on the list of highly emotional debates that will never be resolved online.

Back