Comp Fitting on Immersion Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
Alright, I've had my rib cage IC at 99% completion since Super Bowl Sunday when a friend of mine who is a plumber was going to solder the two section together for me (used 2 25' sections instead of having to order a 50' continuous section). Anyway, every time we try to get together, something comes up and I am just tired of waiting now. Ace Hardware guy suggested a comp fitting to join the two. My only concern is would the temp changes cause enough contraction/expansion in the fitting and tubing to result in a leak?

Any opinions?

Chances are you'll be fine, but I would't trust a comp fitting in my beer. Why not take it a local plumbing shop and have them sweat it for you. Shouldn't cost more than 5 or 10 bucks and you'll never have to worry about it.

Get some extra copper and ask your friend to borrow an extra torch, and soldering supplies (guarantee he has extra). Practice on the spare pipe sections, and then return the supplies back to said friend (with a home brew of course) and keep newly learned skill!

Soldering isn't that hard, really! Check out youtube videos and just be patient (and careful)

63belair said:
Get some extra copper and ask your friend to borrow an extra torch, and soldering supplies (guarantee he has extra). Practice on the spare pipe sections, and then return the supplies back to said friend (with a home brew of course) and keep newly learned skill!

Soldering isn't that hard, really! Check out youtube videos and just be patient (and careful)

+1, my "soldering starter kit for dummies" cost like 20 bucks at lowes. I practiced on some scraps and felt confident in half an hour. It really isn't hard at all once you get a feel for how much heat to apply. Good luck

+1, my "soldering starter kit for dummies" cost like 20 bucks at lowes. I practiced on some scraps and felt confident in half an hour. It really isn't hard at all once you get a feel for how much heat to apply. Good luck

How much heat - and where to apply it (hint: heat the fitting, not the tubing!)

Prep is a good 75%. Clean tubing ends and the inside of the fittings, apply a thin coat of the appropriate flux, assemble and heat the fitting just to the point that the solder goes nicely fluid and sucks into the joint...

Cheers!

I heat the tubing but down a ways from the fitting so you don't burn up the flux

You should definitely heat the fitting....ut gets tricky when you are sweating big brass ball valves, but it is a good skill to learn.

Back