Lager Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gundi

Reaction score
I am on my second batch and am making a Munich Helles. Looks darker then I expected but think it is ok. I did primary for three weeks and it has been lagering for about a month and a half t around 32 degrees. I am about to bottle, but wondering if once I bottle should I store at around 60-65 degrees or does it go back into the fridge?

I bottled a lager and it worked fine at room temperature. I am sure purists would have it ferment out cold but there is so little sugar that is added, it wouldn't have any off flavors. They really liked my lager too, it finished up quickly.

You won't hurt the beer by carbing warm, just speed up the process.

Thanks for the response. My other question is the color should be deep gold but it looks pretty dark brown color. Does anyone think this might be wrong or maybe something went wrong.

Thanks for the response. My other question is the color should be deep gold but it looks pretty dark brown color. Does anyone think this might be wrong or maybe something went wrong.

As was already asked, what is the recipe? The other question is, are you looking at a full carboy? A large volume in a carboy will always appear darker than the beer will when served in a glass. The color you see in a transfer tube will be very close to what the color in a glass will be. BTW a Hells is not deep gold but very light gold, the same color as a German pils.

It's amazing how dark a beer looks when looking at all 5 gallons at once. But when you put a sample in a glass the color thins out substantially.

Oh thats true, same with clarity. I made a berlinerweisse and in the carboy it was a deep orange, but in the glass is it about as light as light can be. Also it looked really murky in the carboy, in the glass it was crystal clear.

This was the brewers best kit. It was in a 5 gallon carboy and I took a sample tonight to test the gravity and it does appear much lighter. So lesson learned for me. It also did not taste bad either! thanks for tolerating the newbie questions.

Back