Wheatwine Poobah's Wheat Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poobah58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Dry English Ale (WLP007)
Yeast Starter
4L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 days @ 66F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 days @ 66F
Additional Fermentation
180 days @ 66F
Tasting Notes
Quite hoppy at 3 months. Very nice beer at 6 months. Let this one age.
16 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) 45.71 %
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) 28.57 %
7 lbs Pilsen (1.6 SRM) 20.00 %
1 lbs Caramel Wheat (66.0 SRM) 2.86 %
1 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) 2.86 %
2.50 oz Northern Brewer [9.30 %] (60 min) 41.5 IBU
1.50 oz Magnum [11.50 %] (60 min) 30.8 IBU
4.00 oz Fuggles [3.50 %] (30 min) 12.8 IBU
3.00 oz Fuggles [3.50 %] (5 min)

Mash: 122F @ 30 Min., 150F @ 90 Min.

Update: It's been a year now and it's just wonderful. We had problems with the keg and also have not had a group brew in months. Thus, we still have quite a bit left in the keg. It has smoothed out nicely. Quality stuff...

can you tell more about how you mashed the grain? I saw your other post where you asked New Holland Brewery and they gave their tips.

So.. How did you do it?

so you mashed all 35lbs of grain all at once or did you split it up into two batches?

What volume did you use for sparging?

I just plunged into All grain last week and brewed three 5 gallon batches and I want this to be my next batch, today.

Is there anything you would do differently or change?

Yep, mashed all at once. Shoulda used more rice hulls. Was quite the time sparging. Next time I might split it up into two. If you want to drink it right away, cut back some of the late hops. If you can wait a few months, leave it as is. Keep me posted.

I used 1 gallon freezer bag full. I ran out of space in my 10gallon cooler.

It's been in the primary for a little over 2 weeks now. Fermentation has slowed down quite a bit.

Well it's been 4 weeks in primary. I am going to rack it to secondary tommorow. It smells VERY good.

Can I age this in a carboy or should it be aged in a keg? (carbonation needed or not??)

Well it's been 4 weeks in primary. I am going to rack it to secondary tommorow. It smells VERY good.

Can I age this in a carboy or should it be aged in a keg? (carbonation needed or not??)
can be aged either way. 2-4 weeks in secondary then a few months carbed in keg is always a good idea...

How's the "shelf life"? I am thinking of making a wheat wine this winter, but am concerned with it holding up long term. Can it be kept (i.e. aged) like a barley wine? Or does it need to be drank (drunk? drinked?) more quickly?

Took a break from homebrewing and the forums for a while, but not I'm back and I've been searching and searching for a wheat wine recipe. This is the one that I've seen referenced most often. Only problem is, I'm an extract w/ specialty grain guy. So I'm resurrecting this thread to get some opinions. How does this extract translation of Poobah's sound?

6lb Wheat LME
3lb Wheat DME
1 lbs Caramel Wheat
1 lbs Honey Malt
2.50 oz Northern Brewer (60 min)
1.50 oz Magnum (60 min)
4.00 oz Fuggles (30 min)
3.00 oz Fuggles (5 min)

On the yeast... here's where I'm a little unsure. Poobah uses Dry English Ale (WLP007), there's Wyeast Bavarian 3056 & 3638, Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen (3068), and I'm currently brewing a Hefeweizen with Wyeast German Ale (1007).

On the hops... are those amounts in pellets?

Any help formulating this recipe would be helpful!!! Thanks!!!

The honey malt needs to be mashed. Maybe throw a little Pils in there to convert. I'm not an extract brewer but I hope this helps. The hops shown are whole. I did not use a hefe wheat yeast because of the gravity. You might be able to start with it but might need the English to finish up.

Thanks! Very good advice.

I did a little research on the WLP007 and the only thing that concerned me was the suggestion that this strain can "dry" out the beer a bit. Does the honey and caramel malt take care of this?

Thanks! Very good advice.

I did a little research on the WLP007 and the only thing that concerned me was the suggestion that this strain can "dry" out the beer a bit. Does the honey and caramel malt take care of this?
It helps. Don't forget, this is a big beer. You need the attenuation...

I am going to do this soon and have a few questions for ya. I am going to do a 5g batch so I am basically splitting your recipe in half. I was thinking of using Wyeast 3787 since I have some washed and frozen. Think Belgian yeast is a good call or bad call? I see you do a protein rest @ 122 and a mash @ 150. Did you think that this process was more beneficial over a single infusion mash? I have yet to do a protein rest and this is a big beer so I do not want to mess it up. Please let me know your thoughts. I want to do this soon so it is ready for Christmas presents.

TIA
Zman

I am going to do this soon and have a few questions for ya. I am going to do a 5g batch so I am basically splitting your recipe in half. I was thinking of using Wyeast 3787 since I have some washed and frozen. Think Belgian yeast is a good call or bad call? I see you do a protein rest @ 122 and a mash @ 150. Did you think that this process was more beneficial over a single infusion mash? I have yet to do a protein rest and this is a big beer so I do not want to mess it up. Please let me know your thoughts. I want to do this soon so it is ready for Christmas presents.
TIA
Zman
Not sure how the Belgian yeast would turn out. I imagine it would be good. Just worry if the esters would clash with all those hops. As far as a 122F rest, I brewed with a guy that insists on doing 122/154 rests for all his beers. Had to really talk him into the 150F. The beer came out well with a nice head so who's to argue?

Ever enter this into a competition?
I've got a Wheat Wine with a similar grain bill, but West Coast "C" type hops.
Thinking about sending it in, but wondering how it would be recieved?

Going into category 23, it would be up against the slew of Black IPA's. :cross:

im drinking this right now and it is damn tasty. Been conditioning in bottles for several months. 8 maybe?

thanks for this recipe! can you talk a bit about the decision to use pilsen malt? what would you think about doing a reiterative mash? i've never made a wheatwine but wheat beers i've made or bought have tended to have less body than barley-based beers, so i thought a double mash could up the body.

thanks for this recipe! can you talk a bit about the decision to use pilsen malt? what would you think about doing a reiterative mash? i've never made a wheatwine but wheat beers i've made or bought have tended to have less body than barley-based beers, so i thought a double mash could up the body.
I used pilsen because I didn't have enough 2-row. I figured it would be a good idea since I use it in all my wheat beers anyway. As for the reiterative mash, I'm not familiar with it. In addition, this beer has plenty of body at this gravity.

16 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) 45.71 %
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) 28.57 %
7 lbs Pilsen (1.6 SRM) 20.00 %
1 lbs Caramel Wheat (66.0 SRM) 2.86 %
1 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) 2.86 %
2.50 oz Northern Brewer [9.30 %] (60 min) 41.5 IBU
1.50 oz Magnum [11.50 %] (60 min) 30.8 IBU
4.00 oz Fuggles [3.50 %] (30 min) 12.8 IBU
3.00 oz Fuggles [3.50 %] (5 min)

Mash: 122F @ 30 Min., 150F @ 90 Min.
I'm taking this is for a 10 gallon batch

Thanks for the great-looking recipe! Looking to brew this weekend for a winter solstice party at the end of the year. Gonna use WLP090 (San Diego super). Do you think 2# honey malt would be too much?

I was doing some digging and found this thread. Shoshin, did u ever toss this together? I'm playing around with a smaller 3 gal. batch that I plan to put in my oak barrel. I know, I know, you're not supposed to oak wheat/white beers...but I'm tired of looking at my empty barrel judging me every time I pass by its bung. Haha! Thoughts?

MrPhillips, I'd say go for it. Have you heard of Bare Tree by Two Brothers in Illinois? They barrel age their white wine and it is excellent!

Back