Pineapple Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffcutt

Reaction score
A friend of my put together some pineapple wine, and left with me to baby sit. Nether him or myself has much experience with wine making, and the recipe is as follows.

10 cans of concentrated pineapple juice.
A pound of brown sugar.
Pectin enzyme.
Wine yeast.
enough bottled water to fill up the remainder of the five gallon jug.

The stuff has been bubbling away for a week now, and is starting to slow down a little. I'm probably gonna buy a hydrometer later today, any guesses about what kinda reading I should look for before I rack it into a 2nd fermenter? Also should I worry about the stuff going bad in the 2nd fermenter while I'm waiting for the gravity to get to zero? I have no idea how picky pineapple juice is.

When Making wine, much like beer, racking it to a secondary is mostly just (unless adding other fruits/extracts) just to help it clear up (argued alot).

So there is no specific gravity that you should look for, especially as you didnt take the original gravity, so you have no idea how far it is along.

Just give it a week or so, then rack it off to a secondary and make a big effort not to get any chunks/yeast etc along with it.

Good luck on it clearing. I've had a gallon of pineapple/orange sitting for a few months now, hasn't cleared at all. I think I'm going to have to break down and try some clearing agents.

I have a pineapple wine that is just 100% juice (not from concentrate), montrechet, and dextrose.

It cleared within a month - but it tastes like rocket fuel. We are going to forget about it for a while to see if it improves.

I racked it into the secondary last night, and there was about 2/3 of a gallon of 'sludge,'for lack of a better word, that must have been floating on the top, because when the siphon was almost complete it plugged up my racking cane.

I'm pretty new to this, and I've never seen anything like that before.

Thanks for the advice, I love this place :)

I've only done one pineapple wine, and that was years ago. mine finished way too dry and a bit too strong ~15+%. Then, i goofed a little and backsweetened too much. but after a couple months in the bottle, it turned into a really good dessert wine. worked great for cooking too. :)

Mine made from concentrate is not clearing ( even with gelatin) and tastes like....well it is NOT good. I took a small sample and sweetened it till there was sugar in the bottom of the glass that would not dissolve and it still is AWFUL. On the other hand my blueberry is VERY VERY good!!!

Yep this stuff is having some issues clearing as of yet, and there is a cloudy storm at the bottom of the fermentor. I wonder if the pectin got set when they where concentrating it.

Yep this stuff is having some issues clearing as of yet, and there is a cloudy storm at the bottom of the fermentor. I wonder if the pectin got set when they where concentrating it.

You sure it is not pulp / fruit particles? Mine has that cloud at the bottom. The juice itself cleared up but there is a bunch of crap at the bottom that was in the jug when I bought it.

Next time I make a batch I am going to run it through a coffee filter first.

Can this stuff be filtered NOW? And not with a high dollar gizmo but with a coffee filter or something similar? To be honest it tastes so bad I wonder if it is worth the efort.

Drop a dose of pectic enzymes in it. That should hopefully help to clear it up quickly. It'll break down the haze that some of you seem to be describing. Works like magic in all of my fruit beers (my pumpkin ale was the clearest one I've ever made. Ever.) so there's no reason to believe it won't work on pineapple.

I don't exactly know if pineapple wine really works. I've got something on my back kitchen, I guess the temperature is not suitable for it as its bubbling extreme and the color is changing too.

I've had it in the refrigerator for a few days now, and its clearing up pretty nice. The gravity is just about 1.00, so my friend and I are gonna bottle it tonight. I'm interested to see how clear it gets in a few months.

Latest posts

Back