Carbonated in fermenter... what now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egoods

Reaction score
Well, I accidentally put too much water in the pan I used as a blowoff valve. And it looks like the gas couldn't escape so my cider is now carbonated. It was bubbling along for 3 or 4 days before and the bubbling slowed significantly but I figured that was just the natural process. I've since put an airlock on there. I did try a glass and the carbonation was nice, as was the taste. It even had more bite to it then I expected. I'd say it's in the 4% range, just judging by taste. So, what are my options? I imagine it'll flatten out in the next couple of days. I wouldn't be too upset if I just bottled it and called it a day. Granted it's not exactly clear but it's just for myself and my roommate to enjoy so I don't really care about that. It's just cheap store bought cider with some ale yeast in it so nothing super special. Ideas are greatly appreciated.

Fermented beverages will remain lightly carbonated until you force the CO2 out. Unless you're making wine, most people don't bother.

It takes quite a bit of pressure to dissolve co2 into solution. Unless you had a couple meter tall column of water pushing against your blowoff, its not carbonated. It's still fermenting. Let it go a couple more weeks, and it will clear, the bite will mellow, and it will be much better. I think the general consensus (read the apfelwein threads or a couple cider threads) that a month is pretty standard.

If you like the taste currently, you might want to rack, cold crash, and rack again. This should stop the fermentation so you are left with a sweeter cider that is drinkable sooner. Plus it'll help it clear.

I agree, no way you had so much water in your "pan" that it carbonated the cider. Youd need a crap ton of head pressure on that thing to create say 2.5 volumes of CO2 at room temp. I mean that would be 30PSI? It would blow the stopper out way before that.

assuming my math is correct, technically since we have to assume the cider has been around 70 degrees we have to assume it would take more than 30 psi to carbonate 2.5 volumes but the idea is right and correct, the stopper would likely just look and feel loose, all it needs is just enough space for the pressure to escape, it don't take much. but like I said, the idea is right, there is no way you had that much back pressure in your headspace to carbonate it. the bubbles your probably seeing are probably just active fermentation. patients grasshopper. if you bottle now I would fear bottle bombs. . . not a good option.

typical stopper for a 5-gal carboy would have 45lbs of upward pressure on it if you had 30psi in there :eek:

I have had a cider that was super carbonated while it was fermenting. It was really delicious with those bubbles...

Back