Can't I just use a grain bag in a cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is how I'm doing my first AG X-Mass day.

We shall see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

Cheers
:mug:

I'm just considering going to AG and love the simplicity of the paint strainer bag in a cooler. Anyone else out there that can share their experiences (photos always appreciated!)?

Well its 2 and a half years after this thread was started, and I'm still a tea-baggin' fool. I double-bag my mash tun now, as I found it helped a lot of wort clarity. I barely bother even recirculating anymore.

I have a mash tun built from 5 gallon round cooler. It has a hard copper filter in the bottom. But I always use a bag inside for my grain. Previous to this I would occasionally get a stuck sparge. With the bag as a liner and doing more than 12 brews since I have never been stuck.

New to the forum wanted to hi,and this is a very informative thread. Also are you guy's still using this method and are there any update's or new trick's. Thanky

There is a thread running lower on this page

"I just do not get it...why?" It deals with methods you might be interested in.

Here's the one I use and posted on the above thread:

I use a 50 quart rectangular cooler with a stainless steel wire BBQ grill fitted to the bottom. The grill fills the bottom to all the edges and is raised (a little bending and adjustment was needed) about 1/4 of an inch from the bottom. It was bent so that it just rides above the drain on the one side.. A quick change from the regular spigot to a CPVC valve and I'm set to go.

I fit a wet Walmart VOILE curtain panel into the cooler ( it sticks to the sides and rides on the grill easily if it is wet to start) then I secure it to the outer edge of the cooler.

Easily handles all my 6 gallon all grain bills, keeps the temperature where I want it, drains as fast as I want it to, never gets stuck and leaves me with a well drained and not too heavy curtain full of spent grain..

bosco

Back