Wort temperature concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostyp

Reaction score
I ferment in buckets with stick on temperature reading LCD gauges , if as I am led to believe that the fermenting temperature could be quite a few degrees higher in the centre , what or how is the best way of obtaining the reading so I constantly know what's going on in there?

It takes a while to heat up 5 to 10 gallons. Try taping the probe to the bucket then put card board or bubble wrap to insulate it. This should keep you within acceptable range. You can also use an immersion probe.

The wort throughout the bucket is going to be constantly trying to achieve a temperature equilibrium, so it's not like it you will have any concentrated "hot spot" in the center.

If you've checked the accuracy of the stick-on thermometer and have confidence in it, that will give you a decent approximation of the wort temp. I have avoided using any kind of probe into the wort since I don't wish to needlessly increase the risk of infection. I tape the temp probe from my controller on the side of the bucket and insulate it with bubble wrap.

Someone used a thermowell to measure the difference in the temperature between the center of the fermenter and the outside of a plastic bucket and found less than 2 degrees difference.

Back