1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been brewing partial extract kits 5 gallons,and I want to make a 1 gallon batch but have no idea how to either cut ingredients from a 5 gallon kit,which I wouldn't really wanna do anyways. I was thinking cutting a mr beer kit between two 1 gallon fermenters,

any ideas on that?

any ideas on making 1 gallon batches?

Thanks

A 1 gallon batch is 20% of a 5 gallon batch, so multiply all ingredients by .20.
I do 3 gallon batches and multiply everything by .60.

I wouldn't do a straight test boil-off with wort, there's no need. Before my first brew, I did a test with water to get an idea, and it's been accurate enough. If you want to be sure you know how wort will behave, just measure your volumes with a batch, don't bother with a separate "test."

Keep in mind that your boil-off rate will depend on many factors, including boil vigor, gravity, amount of hops and other junk around, air temperature, etc. These will make precision measurement fairly useless. I haven't done any calculations, but I think you'd be lucky to be consistently within a pint of the actual boil off unless you do similar recipes under similar conditions every time.

Alright, recognizing that there are so many factors, it does make sense to establish some kind of general baseline with just water. So, to at least I should use a liquid volume that approximates what a boil would start with. Any idea what might be (so called) typical when a boil starts with the mash drainings and an additional gallon of sparging water?

Not a test boil!! Making beer!! Lol

Goodness No, divrguy, would not want to waste wort.

I like the idea of doing a test boil to get some starting values. But I will start paying more attention to the outcomes from future brews to get some real life idea.

One of the great things about the BBS recipes is that you really don't have to know all this stuff (including OG/FG, etc.); however, the methods work well enough that a tenderfoot like me can listen and learn, take notes, read, and play some more, and eventually get a clue or two along the way.

Sucks to be us, don't it. :rockin:

PsyDanny said:
Alright, recognizing that there are so many factors, it does make sense to establish some kind of general baseline with just water. So, to at least I should use a liquid volume that approximates what a boil would start with. Any idea what might be (so called) typical when a boil starts with the mash drainings and an additional gallon of sparging water?

PsyDanny said:
Goodness No, divrguy, would not want to waste wort.

I like the idea of doing a test boil to get some starting values. But I will start paying more attention to the outcomes from future brews to get some real life idea.

One of the great things about the BBS recipes is that you really don't have to know all this stuff (including OG/FG, etc.); however, the methods work well enough that a tenderfoot like me can listen and learn, take notes, read, and play some more, and eventually get a clue or two along the way.

Sucks to be us, don't it. :rockin:

You guys are over thinking it. Make beer.... Guess on your volumes but take copious notes and get exact volumes. When done, your OG may be off because it was first time but you will have beer. The second time forward will be much better.

I would never waste wort for god sakes that's sacrilege lol

sgman said:
A 1 gallon batch is 20% of a 5 gallon batch, so multiply all ingredients by .20.
I do 3 gallon batches and multiply everything by .60.

This can be a lot easier if you convert everything to grams first.

Hail ye veterans of the thread!,,, have you guys ever tried Santiam hops? I don't know why it has taken me so long to try these? I opened up a smash today with this hop and it is just excellent! This hop is made for royalty! Well rounded... A little noble...earthy and fruity! What a great ale this makes all by itself! Truly delicious!

Hail ye veterans of the thread!,,, have you guys ever tried Santiam hops? I don't know why it has taken me so long to try these? I opened up a smash today with this hop and it is just excellent! This hop is made for royalty! Well rounded... A little noble...earthy and fruity! What a great ale this makes all by itself! Truly delicious!

What malt did u use?

So, to at least I should use a liquid volume that approximates what a boil would start with. Any idea what might be (so called) typical when a boil starts with the mash drainings and an additional gallon of sparging water?

When I did a test boil (water only, before brewing anything), I started with 2 gallons. In this case, I was more curious to find out how rapidly my stove could heat up and how fast it would cool afterwards to get a handle on how long brewing was going to take. So it wasn't exactly a "boil an hour and measure" test. In particular, I heated it up slowly, but I'd expect most of the volume loss to come from the rapid boil part.

I boiled for half an hour and lost 7 cups, or a bit less than half a gallon. I generally figure on about 3/4 gallon per hour, though I rarely worry about it much since I mostly do partial boils and I can make up for errors in topping up.

And, divrguy, I generally agree not to overcomplicate things, but I found doing a water-only test boil to be helpful. Going in to a first brew, just having worked with a big pot of boiling liquid boosted my comfort level a bit.

Almost two weeks since I've touched anything at home so tonight was long over due. Bottled my gluten free brown, racked my honey iipa to secondary with dry hops, and added finnings to my cyser. Brewing tomorrow and Sunday now too. Catching up for all the stuff I missed.

Hi all, found this thread and have been lurking here for a couple weeks. I've been brewing for a while doing mostly 3 gal. batches but like the idea of one gallon batches as I enjoy drinking a big variety of beers. Got 2 going now , a Smithwick's clone from a recipe I've used before and a NB Irish Red kit. Going to brew a NB Whitehouse Honey tomorrow, I like how quick these get up to boil and cool quickly too. I think I'm going to really like this because of all the different brews I'll have to sample and am looking to try a few BIAB recipes.

image-4290464060.jpg

Ostomo517 said:
What malt did u use?

I just used 2-row but I'm positive it would be really good now with Maris. Also, I may try it with a Nottingham yeast next time. I can tell I will always have this in my freezer now.

BikerBrewer said:
Hi all, found this thread and have been lurking here for a couple weeks. I've been brewing for a while doing mostly 3 gal. batches but like the idea of one gallon batches as I enjoy drinking a big variety of beers. Got 2 going now , a Smithwick's clone from a recipe I've used before and a NB Irish Red kit. Going to brew a NB Whitehouse Honey tomorrow, I like how quick these get up to boil and cool quickly too. I think I'm going to really like this because of all the different brews I'll have to sample and am looking to try a few BIAB recipes.

Welcome! I love having the variety as well. One thing I noticed when I had 3-4 batches going was I need to be careful that I labeled the primaries, real easy to forget which one had what beer in it! At least for me lol

jongrill said:
That's a Chocolate OatmealCream Stout!

Love oatmeal stouts! I have some of Yoopers oatmeal in a bottle. What a smooth stout she put together.

divrguy said:
Love oatmeal stouts! I have some of Yoopers oatmeal in a bottle. What a smooth stout she put together.

This my first stout, chocolate stout, oatmeal stout, and milk stout... All it one!!

Hi All...

I finished reading through all 200+ pages earlier in the week.... I have wanted to get into brewing for over a year, but between the cost of the equipment and not knowing what to do with 5 gallons of beer, I kept putting it off. I thought about smaller batches, but this thread helped solidify some things! So I want to thank everyone -- HomeBrewTalk rocks!!!! :rockin:

Tonight I brewed my first beer!!! :ban: 1.5 gal of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale (all grain). I really wanted to brew a Boddingtons clone, but my LHBS didn't have the 'proper' yeast.

If you're on the fence, JUMP! DO IT! Start brewing, go all grain and don't look back -- it was easy using BIAB!

It took 4 hrs from start to end of clean up, and I think I could speed some steps up once I get the process down.

I think I'm going to have to prime the pipeline over the next few weeks, as this was fun.

My set up is middle of the road:
12 qt Cuisinart kettle w/pasta basket and steamer (didn't use the basket, but the steamer was invaluable when squeezing the grain post mash out).
3 gal Better Bottles w/3 piece airlocks
Dual scale refractometer
A nice stirring spoon that I notched for volume measurements
Portable scale to weight the hops to 0.01g
Table top bottle capper
Mini auto siphon
Auto shutoff/spring loaded bottle filler
I think that's it...

Here are some picts. Sorry about the crappy quality -- I'll use a real camera next time.

Boil; nothing special, but I did use a small paint strainer to contain the hops.

I took advantage of the midwest winter and chilled the beer in snow while it was 6F outside...

I am fermenting in a Better Bottle. For temp control, I'm using... wait for it.... a Cool Brewing fermentation cooler -- that I won from HBT this summer!!! I haven't seen any posts (not to say there aren't any) where someone was employing something they won from this site. Thanks again to HBT and Cool Brewing!

boil-01.jpg

chill-01.jpg

ferment-01.jpg

Hi All...

I finished reading through all 200+ pages earlier in the week.... I have wanted to get into brewing for over a year, but between the cost of the equipment and not knowing what to do with 5 gallons of beer, I kept putting it off. I thought about smaller batches, but this thread helped solidify some things! So I want to thank everyone -- HomeBrewTalk rocks!!!! :rockin:

Tonight I brewed my first beer!!! :ban: 1.5 gal of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale (all grain). I really wanted to brew a Boddingtons clone, but my LHBS didn't have the 'proper' yeast.

If you're on the fence, JUMP! DO IT! Start brewing, go all grain and don't look back -- it was easy using BIAB!

It took 4 hrs from start to end of clean up, and I think I could speed some steps up once I get the process down.

I think I'm going to have to prime the pipeline over the next few weeks, as this was fun.

12 qt Cuisinart kettle w/pasta basket and steamer (didn't use the basket, but the steamer was invaluable when squeezing the grain post mash out).
Dual scale refractometer
Table top bottle capper
Mini auto siphon
I think that's it...

Here are some picts. Sorry about the crappy quality -- I'll use a real camera next time.

Boil; nothing special, but I did use a small paint strainer to contain the hops.

I took advantage of the midwest winter and chilled the beer in snow while it was 6F outside...

I am fermenting in a Better Bottle. For temp control, I'm using... wait for it.... a Cool Brewing fermentation cooler -- that I won from HBT this summer!!! I haven't seen any posts (not to say there aren't any) where someone was employing something they won from this site. Thanks again to HBT and Cool Brewing!

Welcome from not to far away from you. The pub ale recipe on this site is amazing. very similar to boddingtons.

And welcome to the addiction

Welcome! I love having the variety as well. One thing I noticed when I had 3-4 batches going was I need to be careful that I labeled the primaries, real easy to forget which one had what beer in it! At least for me lol

I didn't think about that, going to label them now, thanks.

Hi All...

Dual scale refractometer
Table top bottle capper
Mini auto siphon
I think that's it...

Looks good there neighbor, brewing here this morning and intend on using this winter weather we have for cooling as well.

I didn't think about that, going to label them now, thanks.

I started to label mine, but mostly because time seems to pass so quickly some weeks, and so slowly other weeks, that I often forget when I should bottle. Now I write the bottling date on ahead of time.

Welcome from not to far away from you. The pub ale recipe on this site is amazing. very similar to boddingtons.

And welcome to the addiction

Have you made the Boddies in a 1 gallon batch? I'd like to know if there were any adjustments in the scaling.

Thanks!
Paul

I started to label mine, but mostly because time seems to pass so quickly some weeks, and so slowly other weeks, that I often forget when I should bottle. Now I write the bottling date on ahead of time.

I use blue painters tape.

Whats in it. OG brew date and also any dryhop dates or transfer dates

Looks good there neighbor, brewing here this morning and intend on using this winter weather we have for cooling as well.

Just a bit of advice from my one experience cooling in a snow bank (on my own first brew, about a year ago)---you'll want to check on it often and push the snow in to keep it in contact with the kettle, or you'll get a very nicely insulating air gap.

So I brewed up one batch yesterday and will probably do the other tomorrow. The batch I brewed yesterday I'm concerned with because I was getting all kinds of weird temp readings so I'm not sure how fermentable my beer wound up and the dumb me forgot to hydro test the mash. Live and learn. This is more about hammering out the brewing process than anything else. This time I did strict BIAB, next time I'll do BIAB with a sparge as well. See which method works better for my system.

So is there a smaller hydrometer out there? The regular ones are too tall for my two gallon primary! It hits bottom.

Departing from 1 gallon batches tomorrow for the first time besides a sour. This weekend I malted and dried 7 LBs of pilsner and Munich ... Making a maibock/hellesbock/imperial pilsner. 2.5 gallon batch. 16 P

Malting your own grain is fun especially when your a one gallon brewer and only need two ounces of Vienna or an ounce of Chocolate

Once the gravity in my brew has dropped enough for this to be a problem, I clean the sampling cylinder, hydrometer, and turkey baster really well. Then I use the baster to draw enough of a sample to get a reading. The sample then goes back in the fermentor.

Brewed a northwest IIPA this weekend I called Tacoma, bottled my actual Northwest Ale, and enjoyed my Pomona Ale during the Super Bowl. Great weekend. Also ordered a new 5 gallon pot and kettle conversion kit...definitely going to 2 gallons, possibly 3.5 over the next year. This is the first thread I read every monday morning. Glad to have our own little corner of the site. Cheers guys!

nice. Im new but have me a pipeline going too havent had my 1st real bottle yet. but i have 2 bottled batches and 2 fermenting. Red Ale extract, Graham Cracker Ale, Choc/Peanut butter Stout, SMASH Maris/Amarillo all grains. So my progress it working out im coming out ballpark of recipes and the samples i pull taste good. Ill have to do an IPA soon ive been trying those out and there starting to grow on me.
I ended up getting ebay refactor $25 i ran into same issue with hydrometer its much easier and can buy more pipettes super cheap throw them in sanitizer pretty easy.

I can see that being a problem with multiple batches going, used to have one or two at the most going but now I've got 3 and plan on brewing one more soon. My memory isn't near as good as it used to be either which doesn't help.

nice. Im new but have me a pipeline going too havent had my 1st real bottle yet. but i have 2 bottled batches and 2 fermenting. Red Ale extract, Graham Cracker Ale, Choc/Peanut butter Stout, SMASH Maris/Amarillo all grains. So my progress it working out im coming out ballpark of recipes and the samples i pull taste good. Ill have to do an IPA soon ive been trying those out and there starting to grow on me.
I ended up getting ebay refactor $25 i ran into same issue with hydrometer its much easier and can buy more pipettes super cheap throw them in sanitizer pretty easy.

Whar did you use in the choc/pb stout, pb2? Id lovw to check out the recipe if you dont mind!

Back